Saturday, September 2, 2017

Becoming "unbusy"-- the eternal challenge




On a crisp 63 degree morning, I am outside on the patio with some coffee, listening to the waterfall and enjoying some quiet "be still" time.

I had planned to sleep in today, but I guess 7:30 am is sleeping in when 5:30 am is the normal wake up time.

A hummingbird is visiting the feeders as I type.  I enjoy watching those creations.  Once and only once so far, I observed one become still while feasting on the perch.  I had never seen that before.  But because it had space on the one feeder, it could actually be on the feeder and take a moment of inactivity while it was there.

Space.  Either we find it, make it, or create it for ourselves in order to not be so busy, to stop moving, to be able to stand still, to rest.

We all need that space.  That's why we have Sabbath rest.  Rest allows us to be who we are created to be.

I know it.  I have lots of books that remind me.  I'm a better person when I live into Sabbath rest.  Yet, it is still a struggle to guard that time and space.

As I write, there are two hummingbirds fighting over the one feeder.  One comes in to eat and another comes to attack it.  There is another feeder less than 20 feet away.  I wonder if one of them will move to the other feeder? There are hummingbirds going there, but evidently not these two.  They are in either play or battle mode today.

Thankfully, when it comes to space for rest and stillness, there is plenty. We don't need to fight over it.  We just need to do it.

I am glad for some time this morning.

Time to listen.  Time to be.  Time to breathe.  Time to watch hummingbirds. Time to drink coffee unhurriedly.

Yesterday I said I would share some notes as I read Eugene Peterson's The Contemplative Pastor: Returning to the Art of Spiritual Direction.

The forward is an interview with Eugene Peterson and Rodney Clapp.  There were some good nuggets there for me, but today I'll share from chapter two, "The Unbusy Pastor".

"How can I lead people into the quiet place beside the still waters if I am in perpetual motion?" (19)
"If no one asked me to do anything, what would I do? Three things.  I can be a pastor who prays. [...]  I know I can't be busy and pray at the same time. [...] I can be a pastor who preaches. [...] This kind of preaching is a creative act that requires quietness and solitude, concentration and intensity. [...] I can be a pastor who listens. [...] I want to have the energy and time to really listen to them so that when they're through, they know at least one other person has some inkling of what they're feeling and thinking. [...]  Too much of pastoral visitation is punching the clock, assuring people we're on the job, being busy, earning our pay. Pastoral listening requires unhurried leisure, even if it's only for five minutes.  Leisure is a quality of spirit, not a quantity of time." (19-21)

The more important question: "How many people have you listened to in Christ this week?" (21)

"But if I provide margins to my day, there is ample time to listen." (22) [Providing margins in the day has been a goal for me for quite a few years.  I attempt to have no more than 3 things on my calendar, allowing there to be margins.  My calendar has gotten less busy over the years, though there are seasons in life and in ministry when they are busier.  Charge conference season is a busier time of year as a pastor.  With three churches in the parish, there is a need to have each nominations / leadership development team meet.  That means 4 meetings right there.  And with that, we've only just begun.]

Peterson recognizes the difficulty in keeping margins in the calendar and speaks to that situation by scheduling appointments for himself.  That way they are in the calendar.  He notes, "I mark out the times for prayer, for reading, for leisure, for the silence and solitude out of which creative work-- prayer, preaching, and listening-- can issue." (23)

Good thoughts on a way to make margins in the schedule for needed things.  He also has a good phrase so he doesn't give in to too many things, "My appointment calendar will not permit it." (22)  Though I've gotten better at that, I still need wisdom and discernment on that.  Don't we all?  These lessons making space for ourselves in Peterson's book, though written for pastors, can be applied to all folks.  After all, we are the priesthood of all believers, and we all struggle with putting too much on our calendars and not having enough time for self-care, soul-care, rest, silence, solitude, leisure, and the creative work of ministry that flows from that (whatever ministry God has us involved in, again, as we are all a part of ministry).

How can you become less busy?  What are some steps you might take from having read these quotes by Eugene Peterson?

Blessings on your journey,

Debra




1 comment:

  1. Beautiful entry. Thank you so much for letting me know that you blog. You reminded me of the Sunday night that I was thoroughly enjoying my lamenting that I couldn't do what ever it was because I was "Just Too Busy".
    Then the Holy Spirit nudged me that being busy made me feel important and to humble myself by not saying that I was busy. Next He reminded me that Jesus yoke was easy and His burden light. If I do what He tells me to and leave off the rest and trust Him to take care of all those things, I'll be much less busy. I'll also enjoy what I do because He fits things together perfectly. Thereby improving the end result.
    I haven't been busy since. I guess I realized I wasn't that important and I'm fine with that. Gail

    ReplyDelete