Sunday, December 24, 2017

Advent 2017-- Week 3 (December 17-23) photos and reflections

Today begins the 4th week of Advent, though it's a rather short week with tonight being Christmas Eve and tomorrow is Christmas Day.  This past week of Advent 3 has gone by quickly.  There have been a couple of days where I've posted pictures and reflections the day after due to so much going on.  It hasn't been just the hustle and bustle of getting ready for Advent 4 and Christmas Eve services.  There have been interviews at one of the three churches for a position, home visits, phone calls, shopping for family gifts, some baking and decorating too.  In the midst of it all, I have made some time for quiet, for silence and solitude.  Not a whole lot this week, but some. This past Thursday, on the Longest Night, I went to a local church that was hosting an indoor lit labyrinth for the community.  I had heard about this, but hadn't been before.  It was beautiful inside.  There was peaceful music playing in the background.  It was a pleasant walking and praying experience for me. (You can see two pictures of the indoor labyrinth space on the "community" photo collage, top right and bottom left.)

The full list of days and Advent words:


This past week's Advent words with photos and reflections are below.

December 17--Joy



Today's Advent word is joy. Here are a few things that have brought me joy today: being able to worship in community; watching the light grow brighter as we lit the joy candle today on our journey to the manger; receiving this heart shell from the Outer banks from someone today, holding it, noticing it is a heart on both sides; singing in this afternoon's cantata, "A Great and Mighty Wonder". Joy, deep and abiding, strengthens me.#seeaheartshareaheart #joy #adventphoto #holstongap


December 18-- Grace



Today's Advent word is grace. As I contemplate grace today, I recognize that for me, my faith journey is all about grace. "Grace, grace, God's grace". Grace allows me to live freely. Having received so much grace from God, I desire to extend it to myself and others. "Your grace, O Lord, was poured out on me abundantly, along with the faith and love that are in Christ Jesus." (1 Timothy 1:14) #grace#adventphoto #holstongap

December 19-- Promise



Yesterday's Advent word was promise. I posted the 20th on the 19th. Oops. Looking at this fog from yesterday morning, you can barely see what is in front of you. When that happens in life, I try to only take the next clear step in front of me, remembering that God is with me. Deuteronomy 31:8--"The Lord himself goes before you and will be with you; he will never leave you nor forsake you. Do not be afraid; do not be discouraged." #promise #adventphoto #holstongap

December 20--Light



Today's Advent word is light. A little bit of light brightens a dark space. John 1:5--"The light shines in the darkness, and the darkness doesn’t extinguish the light." (CEB) May light shine in your life today where you need it most. May you be light for someone else. #light #Adventphoto #holstongap

December 21--Community



Yesterday's Advent word was community. Community means many things to me. I am blessed to serve three wonderful communities, to live in a wonderful community, to have communities of folks with whom I gather-- in person and through cyberspace. Last night I was in two different communities on the longest night. It was a time of reflection and silence in both communities, a time to slow down, to breathe. Community reminds me I am not alone. #community #adventphoto #holstongap


December 22--Journey



Yesterday's Advent word was journey. I saw this tire in a parking lot. It caused me to think that someone's journey had been interrupted, that it hadn't gone as planned. Left behind was the evidence of a blown out tire. How many times are there interruptions or blowouts on our journeys? We have to look to plan B or even C? We may need to go in another direction. How do we react when these things happen? Are we open to the deeper journey of growth through all situations? This is what I ask myself. I hope my answer will always be yes. #journey #adventphoto #holstongap

December 23--Mystery



Today's Advent word is mystery. I found this quote by A.C. Benson on mystery: "As I make my slow pilgrimage through the world, a certain sense of beautiful mystery seems to gather and grow."#mystery #adventphoto #holstongap

As the Advent lights continue to grow brighter and the journey to the manger draws near, may the light and love of the Christ child shine in the darkness.

Blessings on your journey,

Debra

No comments:

Post a Comment