Monday, January 1, 2018

Backpacking with Jesus-- a good read

I picked up a book a few years ago that caught my attention. I can't remember if I found it on a shelf or if I found it on Amazon and added it to my cart.  It has been in my stack and then on my shelf. I started reading it yesterday and finished it today.

You could say that I began a book last year and finally finished it this year. :)

Backpacking with Jesus by Stephen D. Dean, Sr. is about one man's travels along the Appalachian Trail.  On the front cover you see mountains in the background and this quote: "It's not Always about the Hike, But more about the Journey"


I have always wanted to hike the AT.  I have hiked portions of it and I hope to hike more portions of it.  I have backpacked some in the past, but it has been a while.  Whether or not I will ever be able to hike and backpack portions of the AT is something we'll see about down the road.

Meanwhile, I can read about other people's adventures.  In addition to being a thru-hiker, it turns out that Stephen D. Dean became a local pastor in the United Methodist Church in Maine.  His story of hiking and sharing his faith caught my attention.

The book consists of journal entries and reflections from the author as he put the book together.  It is interesting to read his accounts of his journey.

I am very familiar with the starting point in Georgia as that was a camping place for my dad and his friends during Thanksgiving for hunting season.  To see Dad, we would go up there and visit and hike around some.  My brothers got to go on the hunting trips.  One year my ex and I tent camped up there and did some hiking.  One wears orange on the AT in that area during hunting season.

I've also been to the welcome center where the hikers check in.  We stayed at that park as a family a few years back and did some hiking there.  I've hiked other portions in GA, TN, and NC.  Though I lived in NY and traveled around New England and Maine, I don't remember if I hiked any of the northern portion of the trail.

Besides the hiking accounts of the AT and insights into the trail and the journey, Stephen Dean shared about the people he met and the adventures he shared along the way.  Hearing about the nudge he had to take the journey in the first place and the nudge he had to enter pastoral ministry, along with encounters and conversations with people on the trail were insightful and encouraging.

He wrote about trail magic and how encouraging that was. I have enjoyed being able to leave trail magic at a coffee shop in Franklin, NC. I have also thought it would be neat to be part of a ministry to hikers on the AT in some way, whether it was trail magic, offering a place to stay, offering a ride, or something.  Maybe that will open up one day.

Or, as the Cumberland Trail becomes a thru-hike, maybe a similar aspect of trail hospitality can be lived out in this area?!?!

A quote from the book that spoke to me about listening to the silence and finding peace in knowing God:

"It doesn't need to be a foggy mountainside in Georgia for everyone has the opportunity of finding their own special place or space to spend time with God. His voice is in the silence and lives within each heart that seeks a meaningful relationship with him.  God sent his Son to not only save us but also to love us and Jesus is waiting in the silence with open arms to welcome each of us to that place of serenity and peace." (62)

I find the voice in the silence as I walk in creation, as I sit in silence, as I engage with others in community.

I would like to talk with folks who have been on the physical and spiritual journey of the AT.

I do know someone who has hiked the AT as a thru hiker.  Her trail name is "Spirit".  On her third attempt she was able to make it all the way through.  I haven't talked in detail with her about her experiences, but would like to.  On one of her attempts, they kept a map at the pharmacy of her trip and she later gave us a journal of her experience.  She made have made it twice.  She has also hike the Pacific Crest Trail.  I found a link to her journals here.

Stephen's trail name was "BJ".  If you are interested in hiking, backpacking, the AT, or faith, check out his book.  There are some typographical errors, but don't let those stop you from getting all there is to get from this jewel of a book.

Peace and blessings on your journey,

Debra



No comments:

Post a Comment