Thursday, February 7, 2019

Bamboo Encounter-- a nudge is becoming a reality


If you follow me on Facebook, you've probably seen the posts on my personal page about "Bamboo Encounter", an outdoor worship opportunity that begins on May 25 and will meet every 4th Saturday.  Currently, I only have through December reserved.  However, we'll see how things go in the early months and go from there.

In a blogpost from last January, I wrote about my experience in the bamboo patch.  I shared that with Flintstone UMC a little soon after I had my day apart.  What I didn't know is that time in the bamboo planted a seed within me that started growing into something that became a space for outdoor worship.

This past summer at our national gathering for the Fellowship of United Methodist Spiritual Directors and Retreat Leaders (FUMSDRL) I learned that one colleague was taking a sabbatical and checking out the churches in the Wild Church Network.  I also learned that another colleague was offering an outdoor service in her area.

As we left the gathering, I sent an inquiry to Wild Church Network, inquiring whether or not there were any churches in my area.  I sent another one soon thereafter inquiring how one goes about leading such a church.  I use the term "church" loosely, as it isn't church in the traditional sense, yet it is a place where folks gather to worship.

Due to my healing time from hip replacement surgery and being out of things (in and out), I missed some emails.

I finally got connected.  It was in December that I saw an email that mentioned a retreat for pastors and leaders to be held by the Wild Church Network.   That did it.  I was in.  I knew I was supposed to attend.  And, the bamboo patch came to mind.

But, there were so many questions and details.

I inquired about the bamboo patch.  The first phone call came on January 8th from Reflection Riding.  That phone call gave me hope that the possibility could become a reality after all.

I called my colleague who has the church and asked LOTS of questions.  I emailed the colleague who did the sabbatical and we'll talk later and I look forward to reading the research.

I e-mailed my District Superintendent to share the nudges of the Holy Spirit, the dreaming and visioning.

I worked in the background on a brochure and on a Facebook page.  I created an email account.

On Tuesday, February 5th, I had a Clergy Group Spiritual Direction meeting.  Part of the meeting was reading the Scripture passage of Psalm 62 using lectio divina.  The words that stood out to me the first time were "hope", "refuge" and "rock".  On the second reading, the word "wait" stood out to me.  There was much peace surrounding that word and waiting.  I am content (for the most part) in the waiting and attempt to trust with open hands in each and every situation.

After the meeting I went to Starbucks for some coffee.

While there I heard back from Reflection Riding this week.  In that conversation I learned how much rental of the bamboo patch would cost and we put the dates on the calendar.

After the conversation, I published the Facebook page.

I tweaked the brochure later this week.

There are still questions and details to work out.

What in the world am I doing?!?!?!

Honestly, I am saying "yes" to a nudge of the Holy Spirit.  A nudge that offers me soul care and self care as well as a space for others to receive soul care and self care, as we practice the spiritual practice of worship in nature and creation.

 If you'd like to check out the Facebook page, click on "Bamboo Encounter" to get there.

There you will find pictures, the brochure (in jpg) form, the blogpost that started it all (though I'll probably post it here too).

I will post something after May 25th, the first meeting.  Meanwhile, check out the FB page if you want to see some quotes on nature and spirituality, etc.

What seeds are growing in your life?  How is the Holy Spirit nudging you to step out in faith in some sort of adventure?

Whatever it is, enjoy the journey!

Debra

Lessons From a Bamboo Patch-- January 13, 2018




No comments:

Post a Comment