Monday, June 24, 2019

Bamboo Encounter-- June 22

Our second gathering in the bamboo was this past Saturday, June 22.

We had 10 people and 1 cute dog.  She was an adorable little dog named Riley.  That was fun because then there were two named Riley at the service.

As we gathered together in the bamboo for the 2nd time for Bamboo Encounter, I didn't know what to expect.  I had an order of service, a guideline, and I knew where I thought it was headed, but I didn't know who all would come or how it might go.

Ginger came in doing a Facebook live video, which was a neat way to show the surrounding area and how to enter into the bamboo.  As she entered into the space, she caught me and Riley setting up the table for the service and let us know we were on video.  She asked what could be expected in the Bamboo Encounter service.  I said something to the effect of 'Scripture, silence, sharing, and communion.'  And then I added, 'you can expect the unexpected.'  As I have thought about that more, that is true.  When we surrender to the Holy Spirit, we can expect the unexpected.  Unexpected insight from the collected community, unexpected breezes, unexpected sounds from unknown species of birds, unexpected guests, etc.  It seems to me that as we expect the unexpected, we create a space of hospitality and openness.

Even though we've only met twice now in the bamboo, these monthly gatherings have encouraged my spirit and given me a place to share my faith with others who desire to worship God the Creator in creation.

As we continue to gather in the bamboo, I hope others who desire to share on this journey in the space will find their way there.

The Bamboo Encounter Facebook page has photos, posts, and a brochure.  You can access it by clicking HERE, even if you don't "do" Facebook.

Below you will find the Scripture readings and additional reading from this past Saturday.  Included you will also find some pictures I took and  two JPGs: one of the Psalm 46:10 "hour glass prayer" that was part of the service and another of the reading I shared.

If you (or someone you know) is interested in this outdoor worship service at the Bamboo Encounter, which is part of the Wild Church Network, come check it out.  We meet the 4th Saturday of the month at 11:30 a.m. at Reflection Riding, 400 Garden Road, Chattanooga, TN.

Here is the opening prayer from Saturday:

"God of creation, we come today into the bamboo to quieten our hearts, our minds, our souls.  As we become silent in this space, speak to us in the quiet rustling or in the loud clacking of the bamboo.  May we be open to your presence in the silence, the spoken word, your creation, and one another.  Amen." (Debra Dickerson, 5/29/19)

Scripture: 

Psalm 46:10—as an hourglass prayer:

Be still and know that I am God.
Be still and know that I am.
Be still and know.
Be still.
Be.
Be.
Be still.
Be still and know.
Be still and know that I am.
Be still and know that I am God.

Psalm 1:3 (CEB)--  They are like a tree replanted by streams of water,
    which bears fruit at just the right time
    and whose leaves don’t fade.
        Whatever they do succeeds.

Additional reading:  This was something we were asked to bring to the Wild Church Network, a writing from our place of worship.  I spent some time in the bamboo prior to going to the retreat and this is what came of my time in the bamboo:

"Our brown, dried leaves provide a floor covering for you. Our tall stalks lean into one another to shade you from the sun and provide shelter from the rain. Birds make their home in our midst and provide you with song. When the wind blows through us, you hear the many sounds from the old and the young as they combine together.  Some of us are bent. Some of us are broken. Some of us are no longer living, yet we are all here together.  Do you recognize us?  Do you honor us?  Will you join us in offering praise to the Creator?”
~The Bamboo, transcribed by Debra Dickerson-- 6/1/19

The communion Scripture passage came from 1 Corinthians 11:23-26:

23 I received a tradition from the Lord, which I also handed on to you: on the night on which he was betrayed, the Lord Jesus took bread. 24 After giving thanks, he broke it and said, “This is my body, which is for you; do this to remember me.”25 He did the same thing with the cup, after they had eaten, saying, “This cup is the new covenant in my blood. Every time you drink it, do this to remember me.”26 Every time you eat this bread and drink this cup, you broadcast the death of the Lord until he comes.

As I uncovered the bread and cup, I noticed a black ant had already been through the self serve line for the bread and was scurrying away with a tiny morsel of bread.  I gently moved the ant from the plate, so as to not offer protein along with the bread.

After sharing our gluten free bread (which was really good and a new brand for me-- Schär) and fruit of the vine, we closed with this Taizé song by Jacques Berthier: "Jesus, Remember Me":



Before I close out this post, let me give a "shout out" to Reflection Riding. Reflection Riding put out the white event signs again along the driving route, which is very helpful in guiding folks to the bamboo.  The hospitality of Reflection Riding has been tremendous and I look forward to spending more time in personal nature therapy there, as well as working with them in their endeavors.  If you haven't been to Reflection Riding ever or recently, I encourage you to go, even if you don't come to the Bamboo Encounter.

Peace on this adventurous journey!

Debra







No comments:

Post a Comment