Tuesday, October 1, 2019

Bamboo Encounter--September 28th

I look forward to heading into the bamboo for the outdoor worship service on the 4th Saturday each month.  It has become part of my rhythm and my practice, thus part of my rule of life.  Bamboo Encounter is part of the Wild Church Network, a group of churches who encounter God in the wilderness.


I never know exactly who is going to show up or what the weather will be like or how things will go.  That is part of the adventure for me.  In allowing the Holy Spirit to move and flow, I am always refreshed and refilled after these encounters.

This past Saturday, an unexpected gift awaited us in the bamboo.  There was water in small hole in the rock that I use as the altar for Holy Communion.  Because the water was there (from a small rainstorm), we were able to remember our baptism/remember that we are baptized during our time together.  That was a neat addition to the service for me and I hope others.


For the first time this past Saturday, I noticed a small alcove to the left when I entered.  It was a neat tiny "room".  During the silence time, I went inside that space.


As always, when we open the time up for sharing, folks share things that spoke to them during the silence or through the Scriptures or readings.  This time of sharing is very meaningful to me.


After the service I took the white "event" signs back to Susan and got to meet King, the owl.  I was able to get a picture of them both.  I have enjoyed getting to know Susan on my visits to Reflection Riding.

If you are local, come check out Bamboo Encounter on a 4th Saturday at 11:30 a.m.  Check out the Facebook page for more information, for weekly quotes/Scripture, and past service blog posts.  There are also pictures and posts from folks who attend.

May you enjoy some time outside in creation!

Debra


The service:


Opening Prayer: (A Celtic Prayer from Christine Valters Painter’s book water, wind, earth & fire: the Christian Practice of Praying with the Elements, p. 15)

“Deep peace of the flowing air to you,
which fans your face on a sultry day,
the air which you breathe deeply, rhythmically,
which imparts to you energy, consciousness, life.
Deep peace of the flowing air to you!”

Readings:

Matthew 13:16
“But blessed are your eyes, for they see, and your ears, for they hear.” (NIV)

Job 12:10
“In his hand is the life of every living thing, and the breath of every human being.”

“No Sign but Everything That Is” ~ Wendell Berry, “Sabbaths, 1999” IX
The Incarnate Word is with us,
is still speaking—is present
always, yet leaves no sign
but everything that is.

Communion:

1 Corinthians 11: 23-26 The Message (MSG)

"Let me go over with you again exactly what goes on in the Lord’s Supper and why it is so centrally important. I received my instructions from the Master himself and passed them on to you. The Master, Jesus, on the night of his betrayal, took bread. Having given thanks, he broke it and said,
This is my body, broken for you.
Do this to remember me.
After supper, he did the same thing with the cup:
This cup is my blood, my new covenant with you.
Each time you drink this cup, remember me.

What you must solemnly realize is that every time you eat this bread and every time you drink this cup, you reenact in your words and actions the death of the Master. You will be drawn back to this meal again and again until the Master returns. You must never let familiarity breed contempt."


Song: (Eat This Bread)

Eat this bread, drink this cup,
come to him and never be hungry.
Eat this bread, drink this cup,
trust in him and you will not thirst.
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                     
Blessing:  (from Earth Gospel: A Guide to Prayer for God’s Creation by Sam Hamilton-Poore, p. 33)

May you see the glory of God in sun and sky;
may you hear the Creator’s song in bird and breeze;
and may the grace of Christ’s Spirit course through you,
body and soul.





No comments:

Post a Comment