Wednesday, November 20, 2019

Harriet, the movie


Last night I went to see "Harriet"-- the movie of Harriet Tubman with a group of folks from church as we continue our discussions on race and justice after having studied Austin Channing Brown's book I'm Still Here recently.  There were 17 of us that were able to get out last night for the movie and all of us were able to go out for a bite to eat and to discuss things afterwards.  Though I had known the name and some of the history of the underground railroad, until last night, I had not known the woman nor the intricate details of a well run system to save people's lives.

The movie was well done.  As one of the teachers in our group mentioned, it was historically sound from the language to the action.  It didn't sugar coat things.  It was real.

I'm still reflecting this morning.  Writing while reflecting might not be the smartest move.

What stands out to me?

One thing that I don't think I ever knew or if I did, I didn't remember is around the name or names of this historical woman. All I have ever heard is Harriet Tubman. What I learned is that Harriet was her mother's name (though folks called her Rit) and she took that as her freedom name, keeping her husband's last name.  So she became Harriet Tubman.

Names are meaningful and powerful.  In that moment of being able to choose a new name to identify yourself, Minty (Ariminta Ross) chose to use her mom's name and her husband's surname, keeping two strong connections to family.  That was a powerful moment for me to observe as I understand the power of names and name changes.  (See my blog post about names here.)  I also connected with it because as she took on her mother's name, that is my mom's name, Harriet.

It was also interesting to see that she became named by others Moses because she led people out of slavery into freedom.  Another powerful name, but this one given to her by others for the work she was doing.

Another thing that stood out to me was her faith.  She prayed.  She connected with God.  She sought guidance from the Divine.  She trusted the One Voice.  I don't know why, but I wasn't expecting that.  It makes me want to learn more about her and more about her pastor, Reverend Samuel Green, who helped her get away and also helped others.

Reverend Samuel Green was a pastor in the African Methodist Episcopal Church.  He was a free man, having bought his freedom in 1833 after his slave owner passed away and willed him freedom to be purchased.  He played an integral role in helping folks to freedom, as shown briefly in the movie.

Making the choice to run or stay. Crossing land and water in the dark. Going back for others who needed help.  Being the guide.  These things and many more continue to swirl around in my mind.  There are split second decisions that have life time consequences, just as there are well thought out decisions that have life time consequences.  We all have to follow our hearts, our convictions.

Harriet's mantra was to "be free or die".  What does "being free" mean for me, cisgender, heterosexual, middle-aged, middle class, Caucasian, female, pastor?  One thing that I know it means for me and to me is that I am to use all of who I am--my freedom, my understanding, my knowledge, my resources, my privilege, my power-- for the sake and benefit of others.

In the movie, Harriet had a speech about that, in a way, too.  She told folks that they had been free for so long or forever, that they had either forgotten or didn't know or understand what it meant to be enslaved.  She went on to share examples.  She reminded them why it was still important to fight for the freedom of others, even when we are free.

I'm still reflecting.

If you have a chance to see the movie, I encourage it.

Below are some links of interest that you might want to check out, including a suggested reading list.

May we continue the journey of being free and helping others to freedom.

Peace,

Debra



LINKS OF INTEREST TO EXPLORE:

Focus Features Film Trailer for Harriet
What's Fact and What's Fiction in Harriet
The Imprisonment of Rev. Samuel Green (PDF)
Reverend Samuel Green and the Original Colored People's Methodist Episcopal Church (National Park Service)
Must-Have Harriet Tubman Books for your Literary Collection

No comments:

Post a Comment