Thursday, December 26, 2019

Advent 4 2019 photos and reflections

Advent 4.  It began with the 4th Sunday and the candle of love (for most churches, though some have different themes).  The words for this last week are: love, anticipation, renew, birth.

The sermon for Advent 4 came from Romans 1:1-7, "Dearly Loved by God".

As I reflect back on the entire Advent season in this final week of Advent, it has been a very active Advent season emotionally and otherwise.  There has been quite a bit of change in my life, personally and professionally.  I continue to learn how to hold space for myself and others, to make time to be still, to wait, to listen.  I knew December would be difficult this year with life changes and it being the first Advent/Christmas in a new appointment.  I wasn't sure if or how I might make it through. I am humbled by the support and love from the flock, from family, friends, colleagues, etc.  It is a beautiful thing to watch the Holy Spirit move and work.  And that is humbling.  I have enjoyed contemplating on the word of the day again this year, as a way to slow down, as a spiritual practice, as a way to listen.

Here are the words for each day, with the reflective questions, along with my photos and reflections.



Today's word is #love. On this 4th Sunday of Advent, we focus on love. As you reflect on this word, what comes to mind? How have you expressed love this Advent season? How has love been expressed to you? #love #adventphoto #advent2019 #saintelmoumc



 Today's Advent word is #love. On this 4th Sunday in Advent, these visual expressions of love help remind me to live love. The ornament from Lenox is one I got several years ago. The plaques with the different love phrases adorned a table this past week for a Christmas banquet. The love décor is displayed in a home that offers love. My heart is full as I have received much love today. May love be my guiding true north, regardless of risk or irrationality (per quote in Almost Christmas). Shalom. #love #adventphoto #advent2019 #saintelmoumc


Today's word is #anticipation. The Advent season is one of waiting. How are you living into the anticipation of the coming of the Christ child? When you reflect on today's word, what comes to mind? #anticipation #adventphoto #saintelmoumc



Today's word is #anticipation. The first leg of the flight home lands shortly. I made Charlie's chex mix (no nuts) first, so I don't contaminate the pan. I have been anticipating this homecoming all week. I am looking forward to family being home, to getting together with the rest of family locally, from CA, and in Dalton. Anticipation is making me wait. #anticipation #adventphoto #advent2019 #saintelmoumc


Today's word is #renew. What would you like to renew this Advent season as it nears the end and the Christmas season is upon us? Or, has anything been renewed in you this Advent season? What comes to mind when you reflect on this word? #renew #adventphoto #saintelmoumc

Today's word is #renew. The Bamboo Encounter began services last May, but I began working on the structure in January and other things sooner. Outdoor worship renews me. This is today's post from Bamboo Encounter as we prepare to finish out 2019 on Saturday.

Today, on this Christmas Eve, I share this blessing: "Rooted and grounded in the Creator's love, entwined in Christ's own life, may you hear the song of the Spirit today in trees and grass, in forest and field, and in the tender stretching of your own heart."
~Sam Hamilton-Poore, Earth Gospel, 150

I look forward to hearing the song of the Spirit in the bamboo at Bamboo Encounter this Saturday for our last meeting of 2019.


Today's word is #birth. Has there been anything birthed in you this Advent season? Have any ideas or new spiritual practices come to life during this time of waiting and reflection? What comes to mind when you reflect on this word? #birth #adventphoto #saintelmoumc


Today's word is #birth. Whether it is life or art or an idea that is birthed, that birth comes after a lengthy time of preparation. Though birth is a beginning, there are many other firsts along the way. This Advent season I am beginning to see the birth of the balloon that flew higher that day upon letting go. #birth #adventphoto #advent2019 #saintelmoumc

Merry Christmas from all of us!

May there be peace, hope, joy, and love and lots of adventure in your journey!

Debra

No comments:

Post a Comment