Tuesday, February 11, 2020

Rest is a four-letter word

Double entendres. Language play.  I think most will understand what I mean when I say that "rest" is a four-letter word.

However, just in case, let me briefly explain that this expression in the American dialect carries a negative connotation.  The expression refers to words with four letters that are often used as curse words. Read about it here. (There are other dictionary explanations.)

So, why do I say that "rest" is a four letter word?

It is not a curse.

It is life-giving and healing.

For someone who has grown into accepting silence and solitude, this should be easy, right?!  (Easy. Another four letter word.)

Not so much.

I have forced myself to rest my voice and body since Sunday afternoon. I have worked via email, text, reading, and researching. I have barely spoken.

It is good. My voice is returning. My cough is diminishing.

I know that if I am to live, love, and lead like Jesus, then I have to make space for healing of my own body, soul, etc. I can't walk with others if I can't walk.

So, when my mind wakes me up at odd hours, I write myself minimally legiblestuck notes and return to bed.

I take all my medications, drink plenty of liquids, and rest.

Rest is healing and I am grateful for a non-busy week, though there are always things to do.

Instead of doing, I am focused on being.

May I live out what I encourage others to do in their daily lives. May I recognize the beauty of the gift of rest.

One more thing.  I walked to the mailbox and back and checked on my neighbor's crocuses to see if they had survived the rains, snow, rains.  This is what I saw. A beautiful opened crocus, open to receive whatever comes its way.



May it be so.

Rev. Deb


No comments:

Post a Comment