Monday, July 27, 2020

Completely Known-- sermon from July 19


I enjoy preaching the Psalms.

I especially enjoy being able to preach a Psalm that is meaningful to me.

Psalm 139 is one of those Psalms.

I used the New Living Translation for this one.

Below you will find links to the entire service, the SoundCloud audio, a reading of The Runaway Bunny (mentioned and read in the sermon).

Maybe there is something to encourage you along your faith journey.

Peace,

Rev. Deb
‐------------------------------------------------------------------

“Completely Known” 
Psalm 139 (NLT)
July 19, 2020 (7th Sunday after Pentecost)
St. Elmo UMC (FB Live)

Psalm 139 (NLT)

Lord, you have examined my heart
    and know everything about me.
You know when I sit down or stand up.
    You know my thoughts even when I’m far away.
You see me when I travel
    and when I rest at home.
    You know everything I do.
You know what I am going to say
    even before I say it, Lord.
You go before me and follow me.
    You place your hand of blessing on my head.
Such knowledge is too wonderful for me,
    too great for me to understand!
I can never escape from your Spirit!
    I can never get away from your presence!
If I go up to heaven, you are there;
    if I go down to the grave, you are there.
If I ride the wings of the morning,
    if I dwell by the farthest oceans,
10 even there your hand will guide me,
    and your strength will support me.
11 I could ask the darkness to hide me
    and the light around me to become night-
12     but even in darkness I cannot hide from you.
To you the night shines as bright as day.
    Darkness and light are the same to you.
13 You made all the delicate, inner parts of my body
    and knit me together in my mother’s womb.
14 Thank you for making me so wonderfully complex!
    Your workmanship is marvelous—how well I know it.
15 You watched me as I was being formed in utter seclusion,
    as I was woven together in the dark of the womb.
16 You saw me before I was born.
    Every day of my life was recorded in your book.
Every moment was laid out
    before a single day had passed.
17 How precious are your thoughts about me, O God.
    They cannot be numbered!
18 I can’t even count them;
    they outnumber the grains of sand!
And when I wake up,
    you are still with me!
19 O God, if only you would destroy the wicked!
    Get out of my life, you murderers!
20 They blaspheme you;
    your enemies misuse your name.
21 Lord, shouldn’t I hate those who hate you?
    Shouldn’t I despise those who oppose you?
22 Yes, I hate them with total hatred,
    for your enemies are my enemies.
23 Search me, O God, and know my heart;
    test me and know my anxious thoughts.
24 Point out anything in me that offends you,
    and lead me along the path of everlasting life.
‐------------------------------------------------------------------
THIS IS THE WORD OF GOD FOR THE PEOPLE OF GOD.
THANKS BE TO GOD.
‐------------------------------------------------------------------
Completely known.  As I read through Psalm 139, this is what comes to my mind.  I am completely known by the One who created me. 

Being “completely known”—how does that feel?

Do those words strike fear?  Bring comfort?  Or a little bit of both?  It may depend on who completely knows us, right?

Who CAN completely know us when we don’t really completely know ourselves?

What does it mean to be completely known?

How does it feel to be completely known?

Today’s Scripture gives us an idea of what it means and how it feels to be completely known, doesn’t it?  What can we glean from it?

Let’s take a closer look.
Verse 1 acknowledges that our hearts have been examined.  Our inner most part is known.

Verses 2 and 3 let us know that we are known regardless of what we are doing or where we are. 

Verse 7 acknowledges that we might desire or attempt to flee and hide.  “Where can I go from your Spirit?  Where can I flee from your Presence?” (NIV)  To run, to flee, to hide--that is natural.  Yet the One who created us, knows us well.  We are not able to hide.

Verses 8-11 let us know that we cannot go beyond the presence of the One who created us,  that not even the darkness will hide us.  There is NOWHERE we can go that we are not known.

Because of one’s past in life or even in the church, that might be a rough road right there.  Hearing that you aren’t able to hide from the One who created you could be a scary thing.  I recognize that.  However, I invite you to allow the possibility that the One who knows you best and who created you seeks you out because of love.  We are not able to hide from our Creator because our Creator loves us, not because of any other reason.  With that reminder, maybe there is comfort in recognizing that you can be exactly who you are, as you have been created to be and that you have no reason to hide.  You are loved.  You are beloved.  If you have hidden and/or are hiding, you are loved.  You are beloved.
Verse 13 reminds us that we have been created and knit together.  That is known.

In verse 14, there is recognition of being fearfully and wonderfully made.  “Thank you for making me so wonderfully complex!”

We could spend a lifetime on that 1 verse.  How many of us truly thank the Creator for our weirdness, our uniqueness, our complexity?  It takes a lifetime to understand that our uniqueness is truly a gift and there is only one of us.  That the things we think are weird, odd, complex, etc. are a part of us, a part of our DNA.  There are things we can change and make better.  Always.  We can separate those things from our uniqueness.  It’s something to think about.  What about you is truly a unique gift, that without YOU we would be missing a piece of the puzzle?!?!  Think about it.  Let’s learn to celebrate our uniqueness rather than wishing it away.

I want to share a children’s story with you this morning.  When I first learned about this story, it was introduced to me by Evelyn Laycock, a Lay Speaker and teacher in our Holston Conference.  She taught a class I took and introduced this book, connecting it with Psalm 139. 

The reading time is short: about 3 minutes.  The book is by Margaret Wise Brown.



As you listen to this story, where do you find yourself in it?

[After reading the story, show a heart and read it…]
[heart inside book reads: I love you because I created you.  I knit you together in your mother’s womb.  You are mine forever.  You are beautiful to me.  Love, God.”]


Recognizing that any analogy has its stretching point, there is something to be gleaned from this story.  Think about how this story connects with today’s Scripture of Psalm 139.

Personally—there are many times I’ve run—from God and others.  I didn’t want to be seen.  I didn’t feel lovable.  I didn’t understand that the Creator created me, knows me, and loves me.  Often—loves me anyway.  I am still learning to accept the creator’s love.

The final verses in today’s passage are this:
23 Search me, O God, and know my heart;
    test me and know my anxious thoughts.
24 Point out anything in me that offends you,
    and lead me along the path of everlasting life.

In closing today, as our prayer time, I want to share three Psalm Prayers with you.  Two are from The Upper Room Worshipbook, numbers 350 and 351.  The last one is written by Jerry Webber, who is at Chapelwood UMC in Houston, TX.  I invite you to join me in a spirit of prayer as you hear these prayers.  Let us pray.

Psalm 139 Psalm Prayers from the Upper Room Worshipbook
350
Loving and tender Creator,
     you knit us into being.  You truly know us.
     You forever love us.
Praise to you at morning’s light.
Praise from heavenly heights,
     praise all our days.
Wonderful is your love.  Amen.
Adap. by Larry Peacock

351
O Creator God,
     we thank you that though we may run, we cannot hide from you.
      There is nowhere we can go that you are not with us.
We praise you for the power of your presence
      every moment of the day and of the night.
We place our lives into your safekeeping.
     In the name of Christ we pray.  Amen.
Adapt. by Jo Hoover

Jerry Webber's Psalm Prayer from Sometimes an Unknown Path: “A psalm for wherever the journey leads”

O Lord of light, You shine the searchlight of Your love into my life;
     You illumine my life with Your brightness;
     You know everything there is to know about where I go,
                           what I do,
                           and who I am.
Sometimes I walk a well-trod path,
       and sometimes I venture out where there is no trail to follow.
Wherever I am, You find me,
       in order to guide my steps.
Though my journey may seem frightening to me,
      it is not unknown to You.
Even when I don’t know my way,
      I am not lost to You.
You are in front of me and You are behind me,
      surrounding me with love wherever I go.
Your strength and peace are constant companions,
     as if You laid a hand on my shoulders Yourself,
     as if You were closer to me than my next breath.
I can’t go anywhere to be away from You.
     I can’t shake Your encompassing Spirit.
Whether I go to the heights or the depths,
     to the east or to the west,
    You are still present to me.
I may soar with the eagles or be in the deepest agony,
     and even then Your hands hold me fearlessly;
You embrace me in determined love.

Amen.


-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

LINKS:

YouTube Service:


SoundCloud Audio Link

The Runaway Bunny




No comments:

Post a Comment