Monday, August 10, 2020

A Battered Boat-- sermon from 8-9-20

Yesterday's sermon was "A Battered Boat" from Matthew 14:22-33.  I realize that the topic of walking on water could have been preached or even something about Jesus making time to get away from it all after mission and ministry to pray.  There are other themes in this passage as well. However, when I read through the Scriptures over a month ago and reflected, it was the battered boat from verse 24 that struck me.  

Like many folks, life has had its challenges, on many levels.

But Friday night, the sermon really hit home for me.

I went into the kitchen to plug in my phone for the night.  Cliff (our sweet dog) and Charlie (our son) were in the living room.  I decided to turn off all the lights as I headed back to the bedroom.  With my water bottle in hand, I head out of the kitchen and into the dining room.  The next thing I knew was that I tripped over Cliff (who had not previously been there) and was flying through the air toward the corner.  I landed on my knees on the hard wood floors with a loud bang.  I didn't move for a while.  I wondered about my prosthetic in my left leg/hip area.  I felt stuck to the floor.  I was finally able to turn over to sit up and Charlie lifted me up.  I was able to walk, stiffly.  My left knee was more skinned up than my right one.  I iced both knees that night.  I hiked on Saturday, gentle hikes.  My left knee swelled up some and then yesterday my right hip began hurting.  Evidently that hard fall did more damage that I realized.  Though I am due for a 2nd hip replacement on the right side, I am hoping to hold off a tad longer.  A song I mention in the sermon is "The Anchor Holds".  The refrain has these lyrics "I fall down on my knees".  Really!?!?!  Now, I realize that this falling down on one's knees is to be in prayer.  However, I tend to do things differently.  I fell down on my knees, for sure.  I experienced a physical battering of this vessel.

There were some other layers to me experiencing skinned knees and the pain that it caused Friday night that struck me unexpectedly.  I will only say here that it continues to amaze me when I walk the path with others, I sometimes really walk the path.  

I made a mistake in the Order of Worship for yesterday, leaving off the prelude.  It was a beautiful prelude and can be heard/seen in the YouTube video.

As I reflected on the theme of battered boats over the week, I thought about the boats I once saw on the shore of the beach at New Smyrna Beach one summer.  They were tiny little boats that has washed ashore.  One didn't know if the passengers had been picked up by the Coast Guard or if they had made it to shore.  But there were several boats along the shore that year we visited the beach.  What a difficult journey that was for those folks.  That makes me think of the song "navegue con amor" by Jose LaTour.

That's enough rabbit trails and randomness for one post.  Below you will find the transcript of the sermon and links for the YouTube service and SoundCloud audio.

Peace and adventures, 

Rev. Deb

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

“A Battered Boat” 

Matthew 14:22-33 (CEB)

August 9, 2020 (10th Sunday after Pentecost)

St. Elmo UMC (FB Live)

Matthew 14:22-33 (CEB)

22 Right then, Jesus made the disciples get into the boat and go ahead to the other side of the lake while he dismissed the crowds. 23 When he sent them away, he went up onto a mountain by himself to pray. Evening came and he was alone. 24 Meanwhile, the boat, fighting a strong headwind, was being battered by the waves and was already far away from land. 25 Very early in the morning he came to his disciples, walking on the lake. 26 When the disciples saw him walking on the lake, they were terrified and said, “It’s a ghost!” They were so frightened they screamed.

27 Just then Jesus spoke to them, “Be encouraged! It’s me. Don’t be afraid.”

28 Peter replied, “Lord, if it’s you, order me to come to you on the water.”

29 And Jesus said, “Come.”

Then Peter got out of the boat and was walking on the water toward Jesus. 30 But when Peter saw the strong wind, he became frightened. As he began to sink, he shouted, “Lord, rescue me!”

31 Jesus immediately reached out and grabbed him, saying, “You man of weak faith! Why did you begin to have doubts?” 32 When they got into the boat, the wind settled down.

33 Then those in the boat worshipped Jesus and said, “You must be God’s Son!”

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

THIS IS THE WORD OF GOD FOR THE PEOPLE OF GOD.

THANKS BE TO GOD.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A battered boat.  The title comes from verse 24: “Meanwhile, the boat, fighting a strong headwind, was being battered by the waves and was already far away from land.”

Do you ever feel battered? I mean emotionally, spiritually, by life’s circumstances?

That word can be triggering, I recognize…. As there can be physical battering, along with emotional abuse by a person.  If you are experiencing this type of battering, abuse, call the Partnership for Families, Children, and Adults hotline at 423-755-2700.

There is freedom and healing from all aspects of battering.

We will look more at the concept of the battered boat, but let’s go back and put the passage into context.

What happened directly prior to today’s reading is that the crowd of hungry folks were fed by Jesus and the disciples, with the 5 loaves of bread and two fish.  After everyone had been fed and the leftovers collected, we see Jesus making the disciples go ahead of him to the other side of the lake while he dismisses the crowd.

Note what Jesus did.  He went up onto a mountain to pray by himself.  Time apart.  Refilling time.  As we follow in the footsteps of Jesus, how is our time apart?  Our time of getting alone, going to the mountain (or wherever it may be) and spending time in prayerful communication?

Notice that while Jesus was having his time apart, his prayer time, all hell was breaking out with the disciples and the boat (from verse 24, where the title originated).

Even so, Jesus waited until morning and walked out on the lake to the disciples in the boat.  They were terrified when they saw him (v. 26)  The last part of the verse says that they were so frightened they screamed.

Jesus responds the same way he does any time someone shows fear around him. He encourages them to not be afraid.  I seriously get a kick out of this.  Whether he’s busting in through a locked door or walking across the water, Jesus tells frightened folks to “be not afraid”.  I’m not so sure that encouragement, that exhortation works fully in a moment of panic and fear.  But I am tempted to follow in the footsteps of Jesus and try that next time I’m in a situation with folks who are afraid.

Battered…. illnesses, broken bones, COVID-19, loneliness, the past, etc.  What IS it that batters you? 

No matter what batters us, we are not alone.  We have connections.  A few weeks ago when I was down at the Riverpoint at the Riverwalk, I took pictures of the spider web playground.  They caught my attention that day.  They reminded me that we are connected and we all have a spider web of connections to hold us together when we are tired, coming apart, etc.

Another way to think about getting through difficult times it to remember that “The anchor holds”  Are you familiar with this song?  It was originally written by Lawrence Chewning and has been performed by several others, including Ray Boltz. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BxnQzwrF4OU

Here are the lyrics: https://lawrencechewning.com/the-anchor-holds

I have journeyed 

Through the long, dark night 
Out on the open sea 

By faith alone 
Sight unknown 
And yet His eyes were watching me 

The anchor holds 
Though the ship is battered 
The anchor holds 
Though the sails are torn 

I have fallen on my knees 
As I faced the raging seas 
The anchor holds 
In spite of the storm 

I've had visions 
I've had dreams 
I've even held them in my hand

But I never knew 
They would slip right through 
Like they were only grains of sand 

The anchor holds 
Though the ship is battered 
The anchor holds 
Though the sails are torn 

I have fallen on my knees 
As I faced the raging seas 
The anchor holds 
In spite of the storm 

I have been young 
But I am older now 
And there has been beauty 
That these eyes have seen 

But it was in the night 
Through the storms of my life 
Oh, that's where God proved 
His love to me 

The anchor holds 
Though the ship is battered 
The anchor holds 
Though the sails are torn 

I have fallen on my knees 
As I faced the raging seas 
The anchor holds 
In spite of the storm

Today’s passage has so much more we could discuss…. Walking on water…. Being afraid of seeing Jesus in an unexpected place… Jesus not coming to in the moment of our need (as we see it)…. Making time for that time apart and making it a priority NO MATTER WHAT ELSE IS CALLING FOR OUR ATTENTION.

As you read today’s passage, what stands out to you?  Where do you find yourself in the passage?  What speaks most to you?

As I have focused today on the “battered boat”, know that I believe that it is possible for the boat to be repaired; just as it is possible to us to receive healing and to grow and to go through transformation…. NO MATTER WHAT HAS HAPPENED IN OUR LIVES OR NO MATTER WHAT IS HAPPENING CURRENTLY.

Healing comes through grace and love.  Remember the word “sozo” that I’ve mentioned in the past?  Remember that it means both “healing” and “salvation”?  Therefore, not only does healing come through grace and love, but salvation also comes through grace and love.  The Holy Spirit works in us, as we are open and willing, on this ongoing journey of transformation.

Whatever storms you are facing, remember that you are not alone.  Reach out to someone.  We are in this together.

Amen.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

YouTube Video:

SoundCloud Audio

No comments:

Post a Comment