Tuesday, March 16, 2021

Advent 3 2020

Slowly, but surely, I am making my way through the Advent 2020 posts.  My goal is to get them done so I can then work on the Lent 2021 posts and get them posted DURING the Lenten season.  Then I will be caught up. Woo hoo!  Then I can write about other things that are going on and in my heart, mind, and soul.  

 Here are the words for Advent 3: joy, grace, promise, hospitality, healing, community, journey.

December 13. Today's word is joy. Where do you find joy? How have you experienced joy this Advent season? How do you share joy with others? Share your thoughts on joy and any photo or drawing. #joy #adventphoto #saintelmoumc

Today's word is joy. Rocks and water bring me joy. The bottom two were already there. I added the rest. I sat on a large rock by the water. Being in creation helps me remember who and whose I am. #joy #adventphoto #saintelmoumc


December 14. Today's word is grace. Grace is one of the best gifts I received. I wouldn't be here without grace. Grace continues to play an important role in my life's journey. As you reflect on today's word, what comes to mind? How does grace fit with your Advent season this year? What does grace mean to/for you? Share your thoughts and a photo or drawing. #grace #adventphoto #saintelmoumc


Today's word is grace. There was much grace for this retired language professor in learning Greek (and later Hebrew). Grace is an ongoing part of my life and faith journey. Though learning Greek is a bit different than other ways grace has played out, when you look at all we had to learn in one semester... whew. This was my study guide for the final from 9 years ago. Grace has brought me through many other situations and continues to be a great teacher. The hymn comes to mind with the refrain: "grace, grace, God's grace, grace that will pardon and cleanse within". I have much learning, growing, and transforming to do. Therefore, I hold on to grace. #grace #adventphoto #saintelmoumc


December 15. Today's word is promise. As you reflect on today's word, what meaning does it have for you this Advent season? Is there any particular promise you hope is fulfilled? What does the promised birth of the Christ child mean to you? Share your thoughts and any photo or drawing. #promise #adventphoto #saintelmoumc


Yesterday's Advent word was promise. I didn't post because I got stuck. Today, on my way to the office, I passed this sign. This sign is a promise of good coffee. In my opinion, it lives up to its promise. Others may see it differently. We don't all see things the same nor do we all respond the same. Because I am not promised more than the moment in which I live and breathe, I attempt to be present, to offer the best of me. That's my promise, though I know I will miss the mark. That's where the promise of grace comes in. #promise #adventphoto #saintelmoumc #madpriestcoffee



December 16. Today's word is hospitality. How does hospitality play a role in your Advent, in your faith journey? What is hospitality to you? How do you express today's word in a photo or drawing? #hospitality #adventphoto #saintelmoumc


Today's word is hospitality. "Love and acceptance practiced here" is hospitality. The other sign shows hospitality too, reminding people they are loved. How do you show people hospitality, especially during a pandemic? How can we offer hospitality in this moment of time in a safe and healthy way? It may look different, but it's possible. #hospitality #adventphoto #saintelmoumc


December 17. Today's word is healing. What healing have you experienced this Advent season? Or maybe the question is: what healing do you need this Advent season? As you reflect on today's word, what surfaces? How do you visualize today's word in a photo or drawing? #healing #adventphoto #saintelmoumc


Today's word is healing. Seeing and finding hearts is healing. Hearts remind me that I am loved. This heart tonight was by the car, on the asphalt, as we were finishing some errands. Today marks one year of a special day in our family. I am grateful for that day, the healing, the support, the love. #healing #adventphoto #saintelmoumc #seeaheartshareaheart


December 18. Today's word is community. What does community mean to you? In this Advent season when we are still in a pandemic, how is community different for you? Do walls or buildings define community for you? How do you stay connected with community during these times, during this Advent season? As you reflect on today's word, you are invited to share your reflections and any photo(s) or drawing(s) that depict community. #community #adventphoto #saintelmoumc


Today's word is community. This is one of many murals in our community. Community supports one another. It seeks the best for one another. It rejoices with one another. It weeps with one another. It is an honor and privilege to walk with and serve among others in community. Since mid-March we have been stretched in many ways. I have been encouraged how we have found ways to support one another, to encourage one another, to love one another. May we continue to grow together in community to be the best we can be. #community #adventphoto #saintelmoumc


December 19. Today's word is journey. Advent is a season of journey to the birth of the Christ child, to the manger. How has the journey been for you this year? What have you experienced? What have you learned? How has this year's journey been different from years past? You are invited to share your insights from your reflections and any photo(s) or drawing(s) that depict today's word for you. #journey #adventphoto #saintelmoumc


Yesterday's word was journey. I got stuck again for the 2nd time. Seeing as I use "journey" often and in my blog title, one would think yesterday would have not gotten me stuck. But it did. As I reflected on this year's Advent journey, the pilgrimage toward the birth of the Christ child, nothing emerged. This morning, I realized that this Advent has been more difficult to travel through hope, peace, love, and joy because of the added layer of pandemic. At the same time, the pandemic has offered a certain buffer for solitude, if I/we allow it and live into it. This Advent has brought me an online Advent study led by a lay person. That would not have happened, I imagine, in other circumstances. There has been darkness to pass through, grief from death and other losses, just during Advent, not to mention reflection from the entire pandemic path. Like all journeys, there are ups and downs, and rest spots along the way. In the spiritual sense, the journey has its inward and outward parts in which we practice different ways of growing. The photo is one of the more recent hikes on a section of the Cumberland Trail. It is misleading. You see a straight and flat path. It was in sections. However, we traversed up and down too. You don't always see the difficult aspects of a journey or what people have gone through to arrive where they are. The best part of journeys for me? Journeys are adventures. The Advent journey has been no different. #journey #adventphoto #saintelmoumc

Peace on your journey, 

Rev. Deb

No comments:

Post a Comment