Saturday, May 14, 2022

Nature Time


Thanks to a colleague who is preaching for me this Sunday and thanks to my parents' offer of their RV, we are taking the weekend to get some nature time.

There are horses across the pasture from our location and a creek that flows on the back of the property. I found a perfect place to hang my hammock and got permission from the neighbors to use their tree while we are here. The set up requires using one tree on their property and one tree on my parent's property. I look forward to some hammock time later today.




We took off yesterday evening into the woods, on a trail that is part of the RV park property.  We had barely gotten into the woods when a LOUD thunder clap boomed through the skies. Instead of being brave and continuing on, we turned back and headed back down. We had seen some fern; the bubbling, babbling brook; and yellow trillium. On our walk back, we saw two bunnies and other wildflowers. I noticed that the blackberry bushes are flowering on the side of the road. Note to self: come back later this summer. 





It is 57 degrees Fahrenheit this morning. It feels wonderful. Birds are singing and chirping all around. The horses are roaming around in the pasture.

After breakfast we will take off and explore some trails today. We have hiked several in the area in the past, so I don't know where we will end up today. It doesn't matter. Just being in nature and creation is the point.

Yesterday, the trail had steps leading up into the green canopy and woods. I used that photo for the Bamboo Encounter Facebook page Saturday quote today: "Come to the woods, for here is rest. There is no repose like that of the green deep woods. Sleep in forgetfulness of all ill." ~John Muir

I asked this question on the Bamboo Encounter post: "Where or how will you find rest today?"

I am looking forward to resting in Creation today and the rest of this weekend.  I started my weekend off yesterday morning on my Sabbath day with a sunrise at Chester Frost Park. It was restful, peaceful, and beautiful.  I saw geese with their babies, a heart in the wood, but mainly enjoyed the sunrise.








Whatever your adventure today or in the days to come, if there is some nature time in your future, may it be restful and connect you with the Creator. Time in nature, for me, is a spiritual practice that besides rest, offers renewal and healing.  I recognize that not everyone connects in or with nature. It's all good. I can also connect in cathedrals with stained glass windows. Our unique created beings are what they are. We live into them.

The adventurous journey continues, 

Rev. Deb

No comments:

Post a Comment