Monday, March 11, 2013

"Walk by faith, not by sight"-- always a good reminder

This morning's devotion in Jesus Calling (March 11) begins with these words: "WALK BY FAITH, NOT BY SIGHT."  This is always a good reminder, at least for me. 

The devotion continues: "As you take steps of faith, depending on Me, I will show you how much I can do for you."  I like how this is written here.  I can almost see step by step taken in dependence.  For some reason, this causes me to slow down for a moment and think about those intentional steps.  And, it causes me to anticipate with hopeful trust what Christ will do as I take those steps in dependence.

"If you live your life too safely, you will never know the thrill of seeing Me work through you."

This statement stands out above all the others.  It doesn't say that we shouldn't live our lives safely, just not "too" safely.  I like that.  I like adventure.  Yet, I still need pushing out of my safety and comfort zone.  Who would think that there could be a "thrill" in seeing Christ work through us?  I get it though.  There is a thrill.  There is something remarkable, spectacular, thrilling when you recognize that Christ is working through you.  But, it means not living life "too" safely.  I imagine that involves risk(s).  There are days when I am up for risks and there are days I'd rather live in the safe zone.  However, if I am truly going to follow Christ and Christ's example, I imagine most days I need to be willing to step out of the safety zone into the adventure at hand, even if it happens to mean stepping out of the boat (so to speak). 

The devotion goes on:

"When I gave you My Spirit, I empowered you to live beyond your natural ability and strength.  That's why it is so wrong to measure your energy level against the challenges ahead of you.  The issue is not your strength but Mine, which is limitless.  By walking close to Me, you can accomplish My purposes in My strength." (page 74)

Scripture verses: 2 Corinthians 5:7; Galatians 5:25

We are empowered by the Spirit to live beyond our natural ability and strength.  We are not to measure our energy level by or against the challenges that are awaiting us.  It is NOT about our strength.  As we walk close to the One from whom we get our strength, we will be enabled to fulfill that which we are to do.

What challenges await you?  What challenges await me?  Some are seen, others are unseen and unknown.  Am I?  Are you? ... willing to walk by faith, not by sight and to measure my/your energy level and strength by the Spirit's strength?  Are we willing to live a little less safely in order to experience the thrill and adventure? 

May your journey be filled with a little less safe walking and more thrills.  May you rely on strength that is not yours.  May you be empowered by the Spirit to live beyond...

Blessings on your journey,

~Debra

2 comments:

  1. Im willing to take the steps of walking by faith and not by sight I the spiritual realm.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous,
      These are huge steps! If you'd like to talk more about them, I'm open for dialogue.

      Delete