Tuesday, July 2, 2013

July?!?! How did that happen? July 1st Jesus Calling on July 2nd

I didn't really go through yesterday not knowing it was July 1st.  I was and am a little bit amazed that the month of July is already upon us, however.  I know folks say this, but it's true... time sure does seem to fly by.

Yesterday was one of those days that was planned out and didn't quite go as planned.  It was a day in which I knew I needed to spend time being grounded in God's Word and with God.  But, I didn't do it.  I didn't get "a round tuit" (around to it). 

So, when my husband calls from morning swim practice telling me that his car's radiator blew like mine did a few years back, I knew the day would not be as planned.

My major plan was to finish my UM Theology paper yesterday (due today at 11pm).  Then, there was a lunch date (for both of us with a couple, yet separate), piano class for the kiddo, and then an away swim meet an hour down the road.  This busted radiator thing threw a wrench (colloquially speaking) into the mix.

I would like to say that I handled this interruption in my life with grace and ease.  I didn't.  I complained some and grumbled.  I am glad that I didn't go overboard though.  There was definitely grace abounding to keep me from sliding too deep into a murky, mucky place.

Grace carried me through the day.  We took my husband's car to be worked on, he dropped me off for lunch (he had to cancel his appointment), I got a ride home from lunch, I took the kiddo to piano, he took her to the swim meet.  Because he took her to the swim meet, I was able to finish the UM Theology paper last night and turn it in!  [If I had gone to the swim meet I would have been gone from 4pm until 10pm and that would not have been good for the student in me.]  Burden lifted. ☺

This morning, I thought I needed to start with the beginning of July in my devotional reading.  As I read the selection for July 1, I found it to be appropriate for my day yesterday.  If only I had read it yesterday!  Even so, it exhorts and encourages for any day.  And, it shows me even more that I was carried by grace yesterday.

Jesus Calling-- July 1
I AM LIFE AND LIGHT IN ABUNDANCE. As you spend time "soaking" in my Presence, you are energized and lightened.  Through communing with Me, you transfer your heavy burdens to My strong shoulders.  By gazing at Me, you gain My perspective on your life.  This time alone with Me is essential for unscrambling your thoughts and smoothing out the day before you.
     Be willing to fight for this precious time with Me.  Opposition comes in many forms: your own desire to linger in bed; the evil one's determination to distract you from Me; the pressure of family, friends, and your own inner critic to spend your time more productively.  As you grow in your desire to please Me above all else, you gain strength to resist these opponents.  Delight yourself in Me, for I am the deepest Desire of your heart.

Scripture: Psalm 48:9; Deuteronomy 33:12; Psalm 37:4

 - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

By spending time soaking in the Presence of my Creator, I will be energized and lightened.  My burdens will be lifted.  My thoughts will be unscrambled and the day smoothed out. 

This is something I need daily.  What about you? 

I am grateful for grace that covers the days when I don't take the time, for whatever the reason.  But, my heart's desire truly is to grow in my relationship with my Maker.  Therefore, I need to be intentional in spending time in that relationship, ESPECIALLY when it seems I don't have the time. 

May you find/make some time to soak in God's presence today.  May your burdens be lifted and your thoughts unscrambled. 

Blessings on your journey,

Debra

No comments:

Post a Comment