Sunday, July 7, 2013

Random thoughts as it continues to rain...

We've had rain in our area for the past several days.  LOTS of rain.  The field across from our neighborhood was flooded this morning.  There were roads closed with signs this morning.  In fact, we turned around on Boy Scout as we saw the street flooded and cars backing up.  As we made our way around some back roads to Middle Valley, the road was closed to the left.  The Save-A-Lot / Dollar General parking lot was flooded.  So was the driving range.  These are typical flood spots in our area.  But, more roads were closed off today than normal due to all the rain we have received.

Dollar General / Save-A-Lot Parking Lot, Middle Valley (photo by Charlotte Dickerson, 7/7/13)

Driving Range Parking Lot (photo by Charlotte Dickerson, 7/7/13)


After church, the sun came out for a little while "and dried up all the rain" (as the song goes).

But thunder rolled in.  Then the rain.  We're obviously not done with the rain yet. 

What does one do when it rains so much?!?!  One could read, watch T.V., write, sleep, etc. 

I've watched some T.V. (caught the end of Ice Age), simply can't bring myself to read anything at the moment (my brain is still a tad on overload.... though I have started my reading for the fall), and I don't really feel like sleeping.  So, maybe writing will do it for me.  It may even be just what I need to become sleepy.... or maybe that will happen you to. ☺

Today at church the pastor talked about Jesus being the bridge between man and God.  He talked about us being bridge builders like Jesus.  That resonates with me.  I have felt like a "bridge" person for quite a while.  I build bridges, or try to, between people and in situations, etc. 

Another thing on my mind today is a status update from a local church that started a new series today on "Sacred Refuge."   They had posted a "Post Service Post":

"Christ has extended you an invitation to rest and recover. An invitation to break through the congestion, to still all the voices that are drowning out your truth. The truth that you are a child of God and the truth that a good work has begun in you."


My response to that invitation: "I accept that invitation!"

Here is a link to today's message from St. Marks Church Northshore on Sacred Refuge/Retreat Series.  Carl Greene delivers today's message.

I need time and space to rest and recover.  My brain has been going non-stop since February.  I took some time and space at the last Academy session and at my intensive week in seminary.  But, I really haven't been able to take long periods of time and space to rest, recover, and listen.  Life is like that.  It ebbs and flows. 

My time is coming.  Soon!  I have an opportunity upcoming to attend a Board Meeting for Hearts on Fire (a.k.a. FUMSDRL-- Fellowship of United Methodist Spiritual Directors and Retreat Leaders) at Christ the King retreat center in MN.  Though a short time, there will be space and time to rest, recover, and listen.  Then, I'll take a longer time with SOULfeast at Lake Junaluska, NC.  I can sense my spirit saying "ah....." even now. 

In order to adequately be the bridge I'm called to be, to live into the ministries I'm called to live into, I need rest, recovery, and listening time. 

My heart, mind, and soul are thirsty for some holy space, sacred space.

The rain has just now kicked in to a more rapid volume.  Once again it is plummeting upon the earth.  That sound is beautiful!  It's as close as I can get to a waterfall right now, though I've considered checking out some of the local ones.... with all this rain they must be flowing well! 

I am ready to drink more of the waterfall of grace.  I am ready to dive into rest, to recover, to listen.  Then, I will be ready to not simply be who I am called to be, but also ready to do whatever I am called to do.

Whatever stage you find yourself in your journey, maybe some time and space to rest would be just what you need.

Blessings on your journey,

Debra

No comments:

Post a Comment