Monday, July 29, 2013

S.O.S.-- Summer of Service... a gorgeous afternoon to be out with people

Yesterday afternoon was the final S.O.S. (Summer of Service) for Burks UMC since summer is almost over.  This doesn't mean that this type of outing and outreach and outpouring of love, food, and fellowship is over... it just means that it might look different.

Yesterday was also my first time to fully participate.  I had wanted to participate in June, but was working diligently and faithfully on a final paper for my UM Theology class.  I did take a break and head over to the pavilion to help out about a couple of hours into their serving time.  However, when I got there, I learned that the plans had changed and they were re-grouping and heading to the Chickamauga Dam area.  That would have been awesome to join, but the kiddo was worn out already, so I took her home.

So, it was yesterday, my first day, that I got to experience a taste of what these folks have been doing at these S.O.S. afternoons.  What a blast!

After the hotdogs and hamburgers were ready, the assembly line began.  They were put into buns and re-packaged.  Trays with chips were made for the park rangers and a team took those.

When enough food was assembled, 7 teams took off into the campsite areas with the dogs, burgers, chips, and cold water to offer them to anyone who wanted them... FREE! 

I was a member of the Pavilion team.  Upon finishing burger assembly, I walked around with another team member offering ice-cold water to folks at picnic tables and pavilions in the area.  We let them know we had free food under our pavilion and they were welcome to it.  Most had already eaten, though some came.  They all seemed grateful for the ice cold water.

The day wasn't too hot and there was a nice breeze off the lake (Chester Frost Park). 

After folks were done in their respective areas, everyone re-grouped at the pavilion.  Those who could go to the Chickamauga Dam loaded up and headed out. 

I was looking forward to that because I knew there would be more Spanish speaking opportunities there.  I did get the opportunity to speak some Spanish at Chester Frost with one group, but most of the folks who spoke Spanish there were at the beach area... and that was off limits, after week 1 of S.O.S.

So, to the Dam.  Folks took items off the vans and like ants, made their way down the hill to the grassy area and sidewalk and set up the tables for service.  The servers got ready.  Folks went out with cold water, offering a cold drink and inviting people to eat. 

I wandered around with cold water, chatting with different folks in English and Spanish.  The best part was simply getting to know people.  To hear that they were having a good time enjoying the beautiful day with their friends and family. 

Speaking Spanish and English, playing with the children, talking with the adults, fellowshipping with those there and with those who had come to serve.

Except for the location, that sentence I just wrote describes all the mission trips to Costa Rica I've ever taken. ☺  Same thing, different place.  Backyard missions.  It's all good. 

Thanks to all the minds, hands, and feet that worked so hard to put S.O.S together.  This was definitely a community effort.  What a beautiful picture to see folks working together in the kingdom for the kingdom.  And, what you saw wasn't the entire picture.  There had been much preparation behind the scenes and in advance to get everything prepared for yesterday.  So, the "thank you" goes out to MANY!!

A take-away from this for your journey?  What is something you (with your family, a group, or some folks at your church) can do in your backyard [literal backyard, neighborhood, etc.]?  I know some of you are already doing things.  Maybe your examples can encourage others and spark even more ideas!

Blessings on your journey!

Debra

2 comments:

  1. I wish that I felt as if I could support this particular ministry but I can't. It does not touch my heart. But I am an alien in so many ways. Not sure where my place is anymore. Happy for you though. Really.
    I must "Publish" as Anonymous. Hmmmm.
    Sharon xxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous,

      Thanks for your comment. I have a question for you. When you say you can't support this particular ministry, do you mean you can't support it being done at all or that you feel you can't be a part of it?

      We could have conversations on either response.

      I want to encourage you that it doesn't have to touch your heart and you don't have to participate in it or other ministries that don't appeal to your passions.

      Finding out what our passion is / passions are... that's part of the fun and adventure of learning how/when/where to plug into service. Sometimes it is trial and error. Sometimes it is something we see or something we hear or read about. Our interest is sparked and we desire to be a part.

      The body (physical) has many parts and each part is unique and has a unique way to be used. That is the same with finding our place in serving/ministry.

      Would it help you to find your place if your followed your passions?

      Debra ☺

      Delete