Saturday, October 19, 2013

Holding all things lightly... open palms

Yesterday evening I felt one of those nudges to do something that really seemed a little weird to me.  I knew if it seemed weird to me, it was going to really seem weird to the other person.  So, I questioned.  I debated.  It wasn't anything major.  It was an offer up the mountain for this person when she would be going to give her clergy talk for the Emmaus walk.  Why God put it on my heart and mind yesterday evening to offer, I had no idea.  Risking vulnerability once again, I sent a text offering a ride up the mountain.  The reply came-- thanks, all was good, not needed.  That was totally cool with me.  I did what I was supposed to do-- offer.

I have learned over the years to listen, to pay attention to the nudges that come my way.

This morning I read a devotion by Macrina Wiederkehr that gave me words for another way of living that I attempt to live into as well:  "holding all things lightly".  In her devotion, Macrina spoke of not holding onto to things too tightly, but rather holding them lightly.  What a great image.  In the past, I have attempted to express that by open palms where I don't curl in my fingers to grasp at the object, person, or situation, but rather leave whatever it is in the openness so that God can work in and through it as God would.  That is how I have been "holding all things lightly".  Now I have words to go with my imagery.


Macrina writes: "Is it possible to enjoy the gifts life lavishes on me without becoming obsessively attached to them?  My possessions!  My cherished beliefs, opinions, and ideas!  My friends!  My customary way of doing things! [...] Holding things lightly does not require a total surrender, although it does imply that my hands and heart are open if this kind of surrender should prove to be the greater good." [Wiederkehr, Macrina. Abide: Keeping Vigil with the Word of God (Collegeville, Minnesota: Liturgical Press, 2011), 101.]

On the same page, Macrina writes: "If I hold an object or possession lightly, it can become a pathway to God; if I cling to it tightly; it may become a stumbling block on my pathway to God."

For me, it is an ongoing learning process of holding things lightly.  Whether it is an idea, an object, a person... whatever it is... there are times when it is easier for me and times through which I struggle.  Yet, struggle is a part of growth. 

I obeyed yesterday's nudge and let it go. 

After spending time in Macrina's devotion this morning, I saw I had a text message.  I checked it. 

Would you believe that my clergy friend that is giving a talk today on the mountain had car trouble this morning and needs a ride up the mountain?!?!  We are both a little surprised and stunned from my offer yesterday which seemed so untimely and unnecessary.  Yet, the offer was given out of obedience from having listened.  Who knew that this morning a need would arise?!?!

I am encouraged and blessed to know that listening and obeying the nudges of the Holy Spirit are indeed part of our journey.  In listening and obeying, I am learning to hold all things lightly.

Macrina closed the devotion with these words on listening: "The invitation to deep listening never goes away.  An important aspect of all discernment is to listen again and again--and to listen with others." (102)

May you and I make the space and time to listen along our journey and may we be able to hold all things lightly as we continue the path of spiritual growth.

Shalom!

Debra

No comments:

Post a Comment