Wednesday, January 1, 2014

2014 begins!

Happy New Year!

Probably the most repeated phrase/greeting of the day. ☺

Today was a quiet day.  Time at home.  Time outside.  Time to walk.  Time to reflect.

I was blessed to get to walk twice today.

The first time I went to the North Chickamauga Creek Gorge area, part of the Cumberland Trail.  Because of the rain we've had recently, the creek was up quite a bit.  I walked with my walking buddy and her botanist husband today.  Besides the walking, I learned some cool things about the flora and fauna and sand boils.  When we were leaving, one lone kayaker was preparing to dismount his kayak from his vehicle and hike in a way before launching.  This is a great place for kayakers when the water is up.  I wanted to stay and watch him come down, but I needed to get back home.

My husband worked from 9am--3pm today.  When I got home from my first walk, he said he was up for a walk.  We took off and went to the Greenway Farm to walk.  We were able to get in a decent walk before the threat of sunset and closing of the park.

What a great way to start off the new year... walking and being out in creation!  Both places allowed walking by water.  The first place I was able to hear and see the roar and power of the flowing water.  At the spot where you normally walk across the water to the other side to get to the Blue Hole, the water was high and flowing a quick pace.  At the second place, the water was more still but you could see that it was up as it covered the docks.  One dock had two plastic chairs still sitting on it, slightly submersed in the water.  Odd that they hadn't floated off yet.  Maybe due to the stillness of this portion of the creek.

The sunshine was warm (around 48-49 degrees) and the day was beautiful.  Each place had their differences, but both were beautiful.  Both places were very populated with others with the same idea to get out and enjoy the gorgeous day.

Other reflection time today centered around the word "faith".  First I saw a picture and a quote from Sight Psalms on Facebook this morning of a bug perched on the edge of a leaf.   It said, "SERIOUSLY?  Sometimes the next step is a leap of faith."  At first, it just seemed like a cute saying.  And then a couple of people came to mind.  Wouldn't you know that from there that "cute saying for others" became something that came back to me throughout the day?!?!!?  And I don't think it's finished with me yet. ☺

Then, I heard a lady talking about "faith" on the radio.  For some reason, my mind went into acronym mode.  F.A.I.T.H.  At first, "freedom" came to mind.  But it didn't go anywhere.  Then, the phrase "Freely Alive In The Holy spirit" came to mind and that resonated.  I know there isn't an "s", but work with me here.  Then, later the thought came to me "Fully Alive In The Holy spirit".  I don't know if it will sell tons of bracelets or not, but both phrases resonated within my soul today.

Lastly, I've been thinking about words.  More specifically, I've been semi trying to come up with a word for this year because I've read about others working on their words for the year.  Well, I haven't come up with "a" word.  I've also been trying to come up with theme words for the national newsletter I edit.  I'm not doing so well there either. UGH. 

However, there was a quote posted today by Shalem Institute's Facebook page that caught my attention.  As I've reflected on it this afternoon and allowed it to sink in, it struck me that THIS is a quote that has SEVERAL words that I would like to live into in this new year.  In fact, the ENTIRE quote is one that strikes me as one that adequately describes how I desire to live into this year.

Therefore, I don't have a "word" for this year.

I have a quote.  I'm going to attempt to live into it.

I guess I should share it.  That means you'll be able to hold me accountable.  And, that's okay.

Here it is:


"Contemplative awareness provides a door through which the Spirit can take us deeper, freer, and truer, a door through which we can walk beyond any confining room that smothers the Spirit's call to abundant life."  ~Tilden Edwards

What are the words that jump out to me, resonate within me?  awareness, deeper, freer, truer, door, walk beyond, Spirit's call, abundant life

I look forward to seeing what this year brings... what this quote brings into my life, how it is lived out (or rather how I live into it)...

I look forward to more time in the outdoors!  Flowing waters, waterfalls, creeks....

I look forward to more time walking.

I look forward to seeing how my faith is challenged and what leaps and steps I will take this year.

I look forward to more times of a peaceful spirit that has filled me today.

Blessings on your 2014!

Debra

Some pictures from today:






 

2 comments:

  1. You realize that the raging river we saw at the Pocket Wilderness is the same waterway you saw later at the Greenway.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes... I thought I had made that connection in my post, but likely only did so in my head and it didn't make it into the post. Thoughts in the head don't always make it out. I intended to make the connection clear that the waterways were one and the same.

      Delete