Monday, January 6, 2014

My first J-term at Asbury Theological Seminary... a litte bit of español for the soul

I've not taken a J-term course before.  This is my very first one.  I was excited to learn that a mission and evangelism course was being offered on the Orlando, FL campus and I jumped at the opportunity to get back to the campus.  I have only been to the FL campus once, in the summer of 2011 (my very first intensive on campus course).

I had no idea how cold it would be in Chattanooga, TN while I was here in FL.  OH, I am SO glad I chose Florida over Kentucky! ☺  Extreme cold temperatures are hitting the north, along with power outages. 

As I mentioned in my last post about the Canterbury Retreat Center, the weather was SIMPLY gorgeous when I arrived yesterday!  Today it has become windier and cooler.  The temperature is dropping to slightly below freezing tonight.  This is cold, even by Florida's standards.  However, it is not what folks back home or in Kentucky are dealing with, so I'm grateful.

Back to the J-term.  Though I'm glad to take a J-term, I will follow it quickly with my first course for the Spring semester which is a Bio-ethics course and conference the first week of February.  This means LOTS of reading and writing the entire months of January and February.  Therefore, my plan is to do nothing else but focus, focus, focus.

Today was the first day of MS 610, "The Ministry of Mission & Evangelism."  There are 25 of us enrolled in the class.  Our professor is Angel Santiago-Vendrell. 

Being in Florida means being able to hear and speak the Spanish language for me.  That's one thing I miss tremendously from the bilingual Academy... being able to hear the faculty presenters in Spanish, engaging in conversation and worship in Spanish (and English). 

So, another "plus" for me with this course is that the professor is a native Spanish speaker.  He speaks English in the classroom, of course.  BUT, to my heart's surprise and contentment, he opened up class this morning by praying in Spanish. ☺  He explained that he prays in Spanish and it's "home" for him.  Well, it was "home" for me to hear him pray in Spanish.  I haven't heard someone pray in Spanish since the last Academy session when we ended last April (2013).  As the professor prayed in Spanish this morning, my heart swelled with emotion and my soul was pierced to the core.  I could feel tiny drops of moisture in the corners of my eyes.  What a blessing for me! 

What does that mean to me?  For me?  One, it reminds me to not let go, to not give up.... that though things haven't worked out up to this point for ministry in Spanish currently... that the connection, the calling is alive and well.  Two, it confirms for me that Spanish is my heart language, even though it isn't my native language.  Three, it simply brought me joy.  Much joy.  If we could have gone from that prayer into some singing and worship.... oh.... wow! ☺

I have known that Spanish is my heart language for many years now.  Typically, your native language is your heart language.  But, I don't "do" (nor am I) "typical". 

In my attempt to find some information on native language as heart language, I found this article on heart language.  It explains the concept of heart language.  "The Concept of Heart Language" by Rev. Dr. Arne H. Fjeldstad

This paragraph strikes me as an excellent reason why Spanish is my heart language:

"HEART language is basically and ultimately about God’s love for us, as we may experience it in an intimate relationship with the Lord Jesus Christ. The purpose is to experience a true interaction, from one heart to another. In a Christian context, it is ultimately to allow the Almighty God to communicate all that he wants to give of love, wisdom, faith, strength, admonition, and whatever it might be, in a truly transforming way. Very often God allies himself with the feelings he has created in us to reveal himself to us."
God has created me in such a way that God reveals God's self to me in and through the Spanish language, culture, people, music, and worship.  Oh.  That's how and why I often have such an intimate experience when I worship in Spanish and it strikes me to the core.  It happened many, many times during the bilingual Academy.  Hmmm.

To clarify, I enjoy worship in the English language.  It is meaningful to me.  But I cannot deny the meaningful experiences I've had in Spanish.  French is my third language.  I haven't worshiped in French, but I have learned praise songs and hymns in that language, along with the Lord's Prayer.  There are some songs I sing automatically in French ("Glorifie Ton Nom").  Maybe the French worship will come into play one day if/when I make it to France for a Taizé worship service there!

If you are interested at all in the study of folks worshiping in their language, I found a couple of articles on ethnodoxology, which is the study of how different cultures worship God.

Ethnodoxology:  Calling all peoples to worship in their heart language

Heart-Language Worship in Multilingual Contexts

Well, that's it for now.  I need to get back to reading for my mission and evangelism class and get a good night's rest so that I'm ready for day #2.  The professor mentioned something about only praying in Spanish the first day, so today may have been my one and only opportunity to hear prayer in Spanish.

But, there are many restaurants around that serve Cuban and other latino foods.... I need to take advantage of the culture while here!

Blessings on your adventures and journey!

Debra

No comments:

Post a Comment