Sunday, February 23, 2014

1898 Red Bud B&B, Wilmore, KY

This past trip to Wilmore, KY for classes at Asbury Theological Seminary, I booked a room at the 1898 Red Bud B&B at 600 N. Lexington Ave., just a few moments walk to the campus and not even a 1/2 mile in distance.  [You can walk the sidewalk down N. Lexington Ave. or go through the neighborhood and a walking path that comes into the parking lot on the campus.]

My reasons for staying here were that 1) the Asbury Inn was fully booked when I called to make my reservations back in the fall and 2) because of the winter, I wanted to be close to campus and not need to drive my car in case of bad weather.   I say this because I'm not dissatisfied with any of the other places I've stayed in the past and will be staying both at the Asbury Inn and the Corner House B&B in Nicholasville again in the future.

Yet, for this moment, here is my experience at the 1898 Red Bud B&B (website).  To check out their Facebook page, click here.

My experience with booking my room was very pleasant and smooth.  I called the number on the website (see the link above) and spoke with Suzann about dates and policies.  She emailed further information and I mailed in my deposit.

I arrived Thursday afternoon for my two night stay.  I filled out paper work and paid my remainder upon arrival and was shown my room upstairs and around downstairs.  I would be in the Oak Room.  You can look at the pictures on the website of the Oak Room.  Below are a couple of pictures I took of the room and the bathroom associated with it. 



 

The bed was super comfortable and I slept well both nights.  I enjoyed using the tub, though I didn't take advantage of a soaking, relaxed bath (will do that next trip!).  I did use the spray attachment the second morning for a quicker bath/wash and that worked great too.

Breakfast each morning was superb and filling.  Fresh brewed coffee was ready prior to breakfast.  It was rich and tasty.  Suzann mentioned that she used a special brewing machine that made it more slowly, but I forgot to ask her what she used.  I may have to put one on my Christmas list for next year. 



The top breakfast includes an egg and ham soufflé, French toast croissants with a banana and orange glaze.  The bottom breakfast contains brown sugar bacon, egg casserole, crepe, and strawberry glaze topping.  Did you notice the fork?  Mickey Mouse silverware!  That was neat!  I adore Disney, especially anything Mickey Mouse.  My Mickey Mouse sleep pants were the perfect choice for the weekend.

Each evening there was a snack (banana bread the first night and a warm fruit granola dish the second night) served.  Hot water was available for cocoa or tea.  I took advantage of the array of tea bags and had tea.  Each night there were Disney themed mugs out for us to choose. 


The wrap-around porch looked wonderful, with its swing and rocking chairs.  Yet it was too windy and chilly the day I arrived too enjoy them.  The second day it wasn't windy or chilly, but I stayed in to read when I came back from class. 

The parlor was a nice place to sit and relax with my cup of tea (see above picture).  There is also a community television in there (in addition to the television in the room).  There is a writing desk too.  You will also find abundant information on places to visit, things to see and do, etc. 

There are many antiques in the home, from furniture to pictures to books to teacups to spoons.  There is quite a bit to peruse if you enjoy that sort of thing.  And, I do.  In fact, both the bed and the dresser in the room in which I stayed are a close match to something my parents have in their home that belonged to several generations past. 

Suzann's door was open if we needed her.  All we needed to do was knock.  She was accommodating, helpful, and answered any questions.   She was a wonderful host and I look forward to being back up there later this semester.

Check out the 1898 Red Bud B&B if you're going to be in the Lexington/Wilmore, KY area (or if you're looking for a quiet get-away). 

I think you'll be pleased if you choose to stay!

Debra

No comments:

Post a Comment