Sunday, February 23, 2014

WO 510-- Day 2 of class (end of class)... Shalom, friends.

We ended class yesterday with a song from the United Methodist Hymnal, #666.  The number didn't mean anything to me.  I don't know hymns by their numbers.  But, as the professor started playing it and I looked at the title, I recognized it.  "Shalom to You."  It was written by Elise Eslinger.  It was written to the tune of «Somos del Señor». 

Ah, another Academy memory moment / connection time for me during my Asbury class time.   Not only did we sing this song often during our 2 year bilingual Academy (#32), but Elise Eslinger was our worship leader one session when our main worship leader, Irving Cotto, wasn't able to be with us.  These connections for me represent weavings of my faith.  They affirm and strengthen me.

This song is found in the United Methodist Hymnal, #666.  According to hymnary.org, it is found in 4 hymnals total.  It is also found in the Upper Room Worship Book (see below).  The lyrics were written (as mentioned) by Elise Eslinger in 1980. 

Here are the lyrics:

Shalom to you now, shalom my friends.
May God's full mercies bless you, my friends.
In all your living and through your loving,
Christ be your shalom, Christ be your shalom.


Here is a version in English. (not very clear, but decent.  This girl has a great voice!)



The tune, «Somos del Señor», is also known as «Pues si vivimos».  In English, this song is "When We are Living". 

Here is a piano version of the tune.

 
The first verse to «Somos del Señor» / «Pues si vivimos» is anonymous.  The remaining 3 verses in Spanish were written by Roberto Escamilla. Elise Eslinger translated the first verse into English and verses 2-4 were translated by George Lockwood.  This information (and version) is found in the Upper Room Worship Book, #174 and #175.  This information (and hymn) is also available in the United Methodist Hymnal, #356.
 
Eslinger's "Shalom to You" is verse 4 of "Song of Shalom" in the Upper Room Worship Book, #174.
 
According to hymnary.org, "When We Are Living" is found in 13 different hymnals (+ Upper Room Worship Book). 
 
Here is a version in Spanish: (you can follow along with the lyrics on the link, or from the pictures posted below.)

 
Another version in Spanish: (with lyrics and guitar chords)
 

 
"When We Are Living" in English:
 
 
 
Maybe you noticed that I started with the end of yesterday's class.  I'll work my way back to the rest of class in a little while.  I have a couple of blogs I need to get out of my system.  I also have a paper due Friday for Bioethics and a final exam I'm working on.  And, I need to rewrite my personal class notes for Worship class so that they are legible and usable (for me) and start compiling my notebook in my 3-ring binder.
 
Yet, I wanted to start at the end and share this song with you.
 
Blessings on your journey.  More appropriately, this time........Shalom!
 
Debra


No comments:

Post a Comment