Sunday, February 16, 2014

Unstuck.... reflections from today's sermon by Rowland Buck at Burks UMC

So "unstuck" wasn't the title, but it's one of the thoughts.

The title?  "Moving Forward: Strong & Courageous".  Today was the first part of a three (I think) part sermon series by Rev. Rowland Buck at Burks UMC on "Moving Forward" from the book of Joshua. 

It was a strong message (no pun intended) and I thought I'd share my notes and reflections. Joshua is a special person for me on at least a couple of levels.  One, I can relate to the message he needed to hear over and again, "Be strong and courageous" as he set out to do what he was called to do.  Not only did he have it spoken to him, he also shared it with others.  Two, I don't think I will ever forget the time in Israel digging Ai (summer 2000).  That was one of those highlight markers in my life.

The Scripture passage today was Joshua 1:1-9.  Here are the verses in the New Revised Standard (NRSV):

1After the death of Moses the servant of the Lord, the Lord spoke to Joshua son of Nun, Moses’ assistant, saying, “My servant Moses is dead. Now proceed to cross the Jordan, you and all this people, into the land that I am giving to them, to the Israelites. Every place that the sole of your foot will tread upon I have given to you, as I promised to Moses. From the wilderness and the Lebanon as far as the great river, the river Euphrates, all the land of the Hittites, to the Great Sea in the west shall be your territory. No one shall be able to stand against you all the days of your life. As I was with Moses, so I will be with you; I will not fail you or forsake you. Be strong and courageous; for you shall put this people in possession of the land that I swore to their ancestors to give them. Only be strong and very courageous, being careful to act in accordance with all the law that my servant Moses commanded you; do not turn from it to the right hand or to the left, so that you may be successful wherever you go. This book of the law shall not depart out of your mouth; you shall meditate on it day and night, so that you may be careful to act in accordance with all that is written in it. For then you shall make your way prosperous, and then you shall be successful. I hereby command you: Be strong and courageous; do not be frightened or dismayed, for the Lord your God is with you wherever you go.”

Notes and thoughts from the sermon....

We tend to settle, get stuck, stop short due to resistance (ours or others').  When we lose traction in life, relationships, ministry, work, dreams, projects, etc. it is likely a result of "momentum killers" that have caused resistance.  The momentum killers: fear, scarcity, pride, insecurity, jealousy, control, comparison.


How do we know we are stuck, for example, in a relationship?  Our dialogue tends to be the same, over and over... or dialogue dissipates into argument.  You realize you can't go forward; you can't go back.  You need someone (or something) to help you get unstuck. 

Sometimes we are stuck because we face a challenge or an obstacle that is seemingly too difficult to accomplish or basically impassable.  So, we become inert in our action.

To understand how to get through such a time, we look at Joshua's example.  He didn't attempt to do it all at once.  Basically, he took the next step that was shown him.  In verse 2 he was told to cross the river Jordan.  There would be more after that, but Joshua didn't need to think about that, worry about that or even try to figure it out.  He simply needed to do that one thing.  I have learned over the past several years as well that all I can really do is that next step that is visible to me at the moment.  That is how I (we/you) can move forward.

Moving Forward #1--God gives Joshua a task. (v. 2) It was focus/direction for Joshua.  His next step.
Moving Forward #2--God gives Joshua a promise. (v. 5)  This was for leadership with God's presence.  This offered Joshua encouragement.
Moving Forward #3--God gives his instructions. (v. 7)  Told Joshua how to do it.
Moving Forward #4--God gives a command. (v. 9) "Be strong and courageous."  This empowered Joshua.

Ultimately, Joshua trusted God.  By putting his trust in God, Joshua was able to move forward, to not allow the momentum killers to keep him back.  It would be disheartening in his situation; to be outnumbered, outsized.... Yet, God had a plan that included Joshua.  A plan that put Joshua in a leadership position no less.  That makes moving forward even more difficult at times because one is responsible for more than one's self and one receives criticism from more than one's self.

But, if we are ever going to get through any situation, we will only do so by moving forward.  Remaining stuck, traction-less, stopped will not get us to where we are called to be.

When the going gets rough and I find myself stuck, will I trust or will I settle?  What about you? 

Will you trust or will you settle? 

The message I got today: Don't give up.  Be strong and courageous.  Trust.  Keep moving forward.

Blessings on your journey,

Debra



NOTE:  For anyone reading this, you might want to go listen to the sermon online at the Burks UMC website to hear it for yourself so that you can take your own notes and see what you glean from the message.  What spoke to me in each service and what has come from my reflections may be something different than what you hear and receive.  When you get to the website (by clicking the highlighted link in the first sentence of this paragraph, look for today's sermon, February 16, in the Burks worship area or you can click this archive direct link to which videos are added typically by Mondays 5pm.)


No comments:

Post a Comment