Monday, February 17, 2014

Sunshine, trees, rocks, and water... refreshment for my soul!



This afternoon my daughter and I went over to the North Chickamauga Creek and Gorge Wilderness Area.  What a beautiful afternoon to be outdoors!  The temperature got close to 60 degrees Fahrenheit this afternoon, the sun was shining, the sky was blue (with a hint of clouds).

My daughter was in search of pictures for a photo contest she has entered for the upcoming Beta Convention next month.  I was more than glad to accompany her into the woods to one of my favorite places.

Because of the rain and snow that we've had over the past several weeks, the waters were flowing abundantly.

After standing on the big flat rock above the creek for a moment, she saw an area of moving water that she deemed perfect for photography.  We headed there through the woods and over the rocks on the edge of the creek.

Once we got to her spot, she instructed me on how she wanted me to sit and position myself as her subject.  Her intention was to capture someone enjoying the beauty of the vast creation.  She took pictures from nearby and moved to further away. 

Being next to the water for so long, listening to the soothing sound of it gurgling, bubbling, and flowing was tranquilizing for my soul.  It brought refreshment and deep peace. 

I took some pictures too with my cameras and some video of the flowing water.

What an incredible time of refreshment for my soul this afternoon.  Not only was it incredible to be out in God's creation and to enjoy the beauty of the creation, but I got to spend it with my daughter additionally.  I was doubly blessed today.

I was wondering if there might be a Psalm that fit how I felt this afternoon, how my soul felt as it was liberated into freedom from the time spent in creation.

I think Psalm 65:9-13 from The Message might do it and it includes dancing, singing, and shouting in Creation.

Oh, visit the earth,
    ask her to join the dance!
Deck her out in spring showers,
    fill the God-River with living water.
Paint the wheat fields golden.
    Creation was made for this!
Drench the plowed fields,
    soak the dirt clods
With rainfall as harrow and rake
    bring her to blossom and fruit.
Snow-crown the peaks with splendor,
    scatter rose petals down your paths,
All through the wild meadows, rose petals.
    Set the hills to dancing,
Dress the canyon walls with live sheep,
    a drape of flax across the valleys.
Let them shout, and shout, and shout!
    Oh, oh, let them sing!

Lastly, the chorus from Chris Tomlin comes to mind-- "My soul, my soul magnifies the Lord".  That is the deep peaceful feeling that I associate with today's outing.


Check out the pictures and the video (I took the three very short clips and combined them into a 1 minute plus video).  Maybe by way of them, you can get a taste of what I experienced today.  Maybe you can use them as a way to focus visually, a type of visio divina, on God's creation and see how the Creator speaks to you.

 
 








Blessings on your journey,

Debra




No comments:

Post a Comment