Saturday, August 5, 2017

Praying the labyrinth at St. Francis by the Sea

On Wednesday afternoon I was able to walk and pray a new (to me) labyrinth.


The labyrinth is located at St. Francis by the Sea Episcopal church in Salter Path and is one mile from Trinity Center.

Because the Hearts on Fire / FUMSDRL (Fellowship of United Methodist Spiritual Directors and Retreat Leaders) retreat will be at Trinity Center next summer with Jane Vennard leading, one of the things to check out this trip was nearby places.

Though the miniature golf place was next to the church and an aquarium also close by, I only had time to check out the labyrinth.

The labyrinth is to the right when you enter the church parking lot on St. Francis by the Sea way.


It has a beautiful shell archway near the entrance of the labyrinth, a fountain at the back of it, a metal cross structure near a bench, and there are plants and shells around the space. In the middle of the labyrinth there was a round rock. I wondered if it was a geode.

 



As I walked this cement path, I noticed a heart in the cement along the outer path to one one side. I don't know whether or not it is intentional.  However, see a heart, share a heart.


Though there isn't a right or wrong way to walk a labyrinth, resources suggest praying for concerns, burdens, or people on the journey inward and giving thanks and praise on the outward journey.

That is a simplified version.

You can read more at the Labyrinth Society website or the information on the St. Francis by the Sea labyrinth page.

Because I was on the Hearts on Fire board retreat, I prayed for fellow board members, some family, church leaders, and others that came to mind. I try to be open to the Holy Spirit during my walk.

It isn't a labyrinth I will be able to visit often since it isn't near me, but I look forward to returning to it next year when I return.

If you are looking for labyrinths near you, use the labyrinth locator to find out if there is one near you to walk and pray.

Blessings on your journey,

Debra

No comments:

Post a Comment