Monday, October 10, 2022

Called by Name--a balm of healing from my home church



I don't know what Rev. Rick Tiff would have entitled his sermon yesterday, but I am entitling my post "Called by Name" from the Isaiah passage he shared. It wasn't even one of the three lectionary readings of the day, but rather an additional connector passage.

Though I am in my hometown usually three days a week, I am rarely there on Sunday mornings. But because of our 40th reunion weekend, I was there and I decided it would be a good opportunity to visit St. Mark's Church where I grew up. I'm glad I did.

Background: I grew up at St. Mark's Episcopal Church in Dalton. I was christened/baptized by Rev. Frank Allen who later became a Bishop. George Sparks is the one I remember the most. Ed Bacon presided over my first wedding (1986), and I knew Dean Taylor briefly, but connected with him again in a CEU we both attended at Sewanee. I was confirmed there. I was active in the youth group (we've talked about attempting a reunion for us, but that hasn't happened yet). After I went off to college (Statesboro) in 1982, I would attend some when I came home. When I moved to Long Island (1986-1989), I would sometimes attend Christmas Eve services. But I haven't been able to attend lots.

Now that I am on family leave of absence and working in Dalton, when I am actually in town, I have attended local United Methodist and Episcopal churches, plus Bamboo Encounter (meets once a month). Though the family leave of absence isn't a sabbatical, it is offering me the opportunity to be fed spiritually in ways that I am finding are needed after having served 7 years, 2 appointments, and 4 churches.

It felt like being home yesterday, though not fully. The surroundings were familiar to me-- the high arches, the stained glass windows, the pews, the kneeling benches, the liturgy.

There were several times throughout the service in which I could sense tears of something, I don't know what, nearing the surface, yet they never fully came. It would have been okay if they did.

What I did experience through the sermon, some of the songs, and Holy Communion was deep peace and connection.

I took notes, albeit scribbled notes on my church bulletin. I will attempt to make sense of them for you, the reader, as I share them here. I make no promises that they will be in order. In fact, I can almost guarantee you that they will be out of order. :)

Here we go.

These are the things that stood out to me/caught my attention:

  • Open our heart to the generosity of others.
  • By doing so, it causes/helps our relationships to grow deeper.
  • Jesus challenges us to think "backward" / reversal.
  • "divine pixie dust"
  • sozo = well, saved, salvation
  • the leper got spiritual transformation (not just physical) through the relationship/connection
  • Note: the leper was also a Samaritan (double whammy in society [my words])-- two things cause him to have stigma in the eyes of others. [This could be a long 'cause for a pause' here. What in our own lives cause us to be outcast in the eyes of others or even ourselves? What causes us to look at others and see them with eyes of stigma? If we take some time to reflect on these things, maybe we can eventually reflect with the compassionate eyes of Jesus for ourselves and for others. DD]
  • God wants us to change, to transform, to do a new thing.
  • Do not dwell on the past.
  • Open our hearts to God
  • Isaiah 43-- do not fear... I have called you by name. You are mine.
  • verse 18-- I am about to do a new thing
  • "God calls us each by name to be transformed." Rev. Rick Tiff
  • God's grace, God's mercy is abundant; God calls us into relationship
  • Live a life of thanksgiving; receive
  • God calls us each by name
  • Friendship with God
So, those are my notes.

I'll try to fill you in on what made this sermon so meaningful to me and how it was a balm of healing to my soul.

First of all, I used to say that I never remembered hearing about grace or relationship growing up in the Episcopal Church. Now, to my former Reverends, I am NOT saying that you or my teachers didn't preach or teach it. What I am saying is that I don't remember it. It wasn't until later in life that the concept of a relationship with Jesus/God/Holy Spirit became a reality to me. And then, it was even later that I realized that all my time in the woods as a kid WAS time with God, in creation with the Creator. 

As I have grown and changed (transformed) over the years, grace has been foundational. God calling me by name has also come around to become foundational. So, in many ways, yesterday's sermon touched on many of the things that make me me, as God created me to be, in relationship with God. I think maybe that could explain the being close to tears throughout. Though I cannot fully explain it, my soul has taken a beating. Yes, even with all the spiritual practices I live into daily, weekly, monthly, and yearly. It can happen. It is called life and humanity. It comes from living a life poured out for the sake of others. Truthfully, I wouldn't have it any other way. Now, I realize and recognize that there is more to learn along the way. I am learning and growing. I am continuing the spiritual practices that give me life and living into new ones. (You can read more about my spiritual practices in other posts.)

What I am attempting to express here is that yesterday there was unexpected healing in my soul that I didn't know was still needed. It went deep. It felt good. It was holy. It went full circle into my childhood. I am grateful.

I am called by name. Want to know a secret? We have ALL been called by name. We are all loved, accepted, beloved, 

One of the reasons this Isaiah passage touches me so is a Christmas gift from my Aunt Carol who was also a Godmother to me. She gave me a necklace one year-- a stained glass cross with the letter "D" on the front. I used it as a Christmas ornament for YEARS. Now I use it a cross and sometimes still put it on our tree. On the back of the cross is the Isaiah verse: 'I have called you by name'.  Though I don't remember when I got it-- probably the 70s, it has become more meaningful to me as I have lived into my calling.



Now, please remember-- we are all called by name.... and we ALL have callings! My first calling was that of professor-- I taught for 24 years. And, truthfully, I'm still a teacher at heart. I was a pastor to pastors LONG before I become one officially. I am in the process of becoming a spiritual director, but have been an unofficial one for a while. 

God created me to walk along life's journey with people; to share the good, the  bad, the ugly; to be present; to listen; to walk the aging, death, and dying journey.... these things I know. What I learn, I share. I was also created to connect with my Creator in creation, in nature. 

There are things in life at times that cause doubt, etc., but I am reminded to not be afraid.

I will continue the inward and outward journey of growth and transformation as the grace and healing work in and through me.

Oh, the songs...... Hymn 633 "Word of God, come down on earth" by James Quinn was one that I didn't remember, but found the lyrics to be engaging. I looked it up on hymnary.org and found that it is also in the United Methodist Hymnal (and others} #182. 

Lyrics:

1 Word of God, come down on earth,
living rain from heaven descending;
touch our hearts and bring to birth
faith and hope and love unending.
Word almighty, we revere you;
Word made flesh, we long to hear you.

2 Word eternal, throned on high,
Word that brought to life creation,
Word that came from heaven to die,
crucified for our salvation,
saving Word, the world restoring,
speak to us, your love outpouring.

3 Word that speaks God's tender love,
one with God beyond all telling,
Word that sends us from above
God the Spirit, with us dwelling,
Word of truth, to all truth lead us;
Word of life, with one bread feed us.

There was a John Bell song that we sang a portion of during communion time: "Take, O take me as I am"

Lyrics:

Take, O take me as I am, summon out what I shall be.
Set your seal upon my heart and live in me.

I am familiar with John Bell's music and have used his songs, but this one was new to me or I had forgotten about it). It was fitting!

You can listen to it here:

I am grateful for my home church-- for all it gave me over the years and for yesterday's service.

Peace, 

Rev. Deb




If you'd like to watch yesterday's service, you can find it here on their FaceBook page: October 9 worship service.

An older video of the church (it has beautiful photos):


No comments:

Post a Comment