Monday, October 10, 2022

Stop, Listen, Look-- reflections from a short hike

I have wanted to hike the Dalton State College trails for a long time, but simply haven't had the opportunity. Saturday was a GORGEOUS day and I had time between reunion activities to get outside and check them out. I decided to do the Big Rock Trail for easiest find/quickest access. That kiosk came up first on the driving directions, in other words. There is ample parking on the college street (side street parking) and a kiosk that has a map near the trail head. Check out this link for more information: Roadrunner Trails.

I had no idea what to expect, but I guess I should have expected to go up! :) At least it wasn't the George Disney Trail. :)

There were switch backs and even some flat areas. Some of the paths were rocky; while others were full of acorns (not an issue going up-- going down was different!). There were also some areas of sand, pine needles and leaves..... in other words, this is a diverse area.

I took the "Big Rock Trail" until it got to the bench. There I decided to go on the "Ridge Trail". A yellow paper posted on a tree said the trail wasn't finished yet, but check it out. This trail is where I found more flat areas and paths of pine needles. It still had some ups and downs too.

The breezes on this day were wonderful.

Hearing the leaves rustle and watching them dance on the branches and some fall to the ground was delightful.

I found different colored acorns along the way, some cool mushrooms, some interesting rocks. 

I enjoyed the sounds of the birds and even the odd creaking of trees in one area where they must have been tightly stuck together, yet moved enough to make sounds as the wind blew them.

As I walked along the path, enjoying the shade of the tree canopies, I thought back to the sign I saw last Sunday in Murphy: "Stop, Listen, Look". 

Though that sign is for a railroad crossing, I found it appropriate for a hiking trail. Well, truth be told, I find it appropriate for life. We understand why we are to 'stop, listen, and look' at a railroad crossing. As I hiked, I applied it to taking in my environment, to being present and aware of my surroundings. Though I hike and walk with intentionality most of the time anyway, I made an extra effort to "stop, listen, look" along the way. There is much beauty in nature and creation!

I shared quite a few of the photos I took the other day, but I will share them here as well, plus a few I didn't share.

Creation time in the woods always fills my soul, relaxes my mind, and strengthens my body.

It was good to check out this new-to-me trail system!

Journeying onward in this adventurous life!

Debra























PHOTOS ARE MINE. 

No comments:

Post a Comment