Saturday, October 1, 2022

Time Apart

We are "invited" to spend some time apart before every residence in our spiritual direction program (Columbia Theological Seminary). I use the quotations with "invited" because we also have an assignment to turn in from our time apart. :)

We are to spend a minimum of 8 hours apart, in silence and solitude, listening, praying, etc.

For the first residence, I went to a tiny home community in Marion County and hiked the trail there to see their beautiful waterfall. I started the day off with a bike ride on the Riverwalk.

For another one, I used the 5 Day Academy I had attended and added up all the silence and solitude time I accumulated. Not exactly the same, but it was time apart and there was much to that time apart.

Last spring it snuck up on me and I planned a day apart at Chester Frost Park-- from sunrise to the mid afternoon. I took my coffee, my hammock, etc. and hung out in two different spots that day. It was good.

For this last residency, I planned a short time away at Hinton Retreat Center in Hayesville, NC. Riley actually suggested the Hinton Center. I have only been to it once-- driven through, taken a short tour, seen the labyrinth. It's in Riley's hometown of Hayesville, it's a Methodist retreat center, and it's on Lake Chatuge. It has a trail, a labyrinth, water views. It is near lots of other nature.

On the way up yesterday, I stopped in Murphy, NC to walk along the Murphy River Walk. I found one of the Trail Heads, off Thomas Street and walked to the right 1/2 a mile and then back. There was some dirt path and some small gravel path. Some of it went right along the Valley River and other parts were a bit off the river, as far as the view goes. Walnuts had fallen off a tree and made great baseballs to throw into the field and woods. :)



I checked out a new coffee shop and went to the Murphy Chamber of Commerce for information before heading to Hinton Center.  The Buzzed Brew Coffeehouse had pastries, along with coffee and tea. I wasn't disappointed with my choices.

Not being sure what the weather would be the rest of the weekend, I made the most of my Friday after checking in and settling in to my hermitage-- home away from home. I walked the nature trail that was by the hermitage and led to an outdoor chapel. It was a beautiful spot. There were two wooden benches along the way, put there as an Eagle Scout project. There were two rock benches at the garden vista spot. I heard a deer snorting up there, but could never see it. I imagine that was the deer's intention-- for me to NOT see it. I wasn't there to bother the deer or disturb its spot, so I didn't stay too long and headed back down the trail. I took the loop trail on the way back that went by the creek. There wasn't much water running through the tiny creek at all, but there was some.










After the nature trail, I went to the labyrinth and spent some time walking and praying it. It was a good time of listening and praying for me. Here is what I jotted down from that time:

"Not sure what about this prayer journey today caused me to reflect on going away from the center to get to it, but it was the focus. I have often thought about how we are near the center, yet we are not quite there yet. As I noticed that I was going away from the center, it felt counter-intuitive, almost "wrong". How can I arrive at the center if I am moving away from it?!?! Yet, I also knew to trust the path. I have prayed labyrinths before. Today, the message that came to me was "trust the path". As I sit in the center, in the shade of surrounding trees, I breathe in the truth and trust of following the path and breathe out any worry or anxiety that sometimes creeps in. I am grateful for the prayer labyrinth and the reminder to trust the path."








After the labyrinth, I walked around the property and found the bookstore/gift shop (closed), the swing garden that contained a swing and beautiful flowers with butterflies and bees, then I headed down to the lake and found the dock and pavilion and a cross that lights up with solar lights.














The weather has shifted so I am able to get outdoors more than I thought I would be able to today. For that I am glad.

It is good for my soul to be in nature, to be in the trees, to walk.

I posted a photo of the trees from the labyrinth for Bamboo Encounter today with a quote from Dr. Jane Goodall: "The forest is for me a temple - a cathedral of tree canopies and dancing light."

I added a few words of my own:

"Tree canopies have a way of calming my soul, whether I am sitting in them or walking through them. They are restorative for me."

The motto or tag line at the Hinton center is "retreat, reflect, renew". I am leaning and living into these words during this time apart.

Peace on this first day of October. 

May the adventurous journey continue!

Debra


Other random photos: 








No comments:

Post a Comment