Thursday, January 5, 2023

12th day of Christmas


The season of Christmas is almost over on this 12th day (now 12th night) of Christmas. Tomorrow is Epiphany and we celebrate the arrival of the Magi to the Christ child (who is about 2 years old at this time) and his family. We recognize the gifts they bring. What we don't often consider (or maybe it's just me) is all the young boys age 2 years and under who were ordered killed by Herod once he learned that the Magi tricked him by returning another way home once they found the Christ child. 

What caused Herod to take such an extreme action? What kept him from being able to see the light, the wonder, the promise, the love, the hope that the young child (Jesus) offered? How could some see it, like the Magi, but not the King?

It is a custom in some cultures to leave out shoes on this night for the Magi to fill with gifts. If I were to put out my shoes tonight, what gifts might I hope to see tomorrow? I think I would want to see gifts of hope, love, joy, and peace. What gifts would you want the Magi to bring you this year? 

Rev. Deb

P.S. The photo is of my only ornament with Magi that I put out this year. It's a carved gourd.

No comments:

Post a Comment