Thursday, January 19, 2023

An Opportunity to Serve

Me and Rev. Leslie Daniels 

On Sunday, January 8, 2023, I participated in worship at Burks UMC. Though I have preached twice at Fairview UMC during my leave of absence, this was my first time to serve in any capacity at Burks UMC. Burks UMC is my "sending" church, the church that voted for me to pursue candidacy and supported me through the process. It is now my charge conference church while on family leave of absence. We attend there primarily.

The Associate Pastor, Rev. Leslie Daniels, had asked me if I would help with the liturgy that day because the Senior pastor, Rev. Tony Collins would be out. I said yes since we were going to be in town that day. I helped with the call to worship, the affirmation of faith, the prayer before the tithes and offerings, and with holding a bowl for those who wanted to remember their baptism. 

It was a special experience for me. 

I haven't served at Burks UMC since I left as a lay person. It was meaningful for me to look around, to see faces known and unknown, and remember that this church had supported me on my journey to become a pastor.

The dear people at Burks UMC presented me with a hymnal to celebrate my ordination. People had written in the front and back, and on hymn pages. It has always been encouraging and heart warming to open up the hymnal to sing a hymn, and read what someone had written.

On January 8th, being at Burks UMC, opening up that hymnal and seeing words of encouragement was even more encouraging.

The hymns we sang that Sunday were: "Lift High the Cross" #159. There I saw the words "In all we do, " before the title of the hymn and the names Dave & Debbie Bruggink. The next hymn was "Amazing Grace" #378. Carol Harris signed it with a heart, along with Ron & Pam Elsea. I couldn't help but notice the writing on the left hand page as I sang "Amazing Grace". There were two notes on "It Is Well with My Soul". Yes, I thought to myself, it IS well with my soul.

During the time of remembering our baptism, the musicians played and sang "Holy Water". I don't remember hearing this song before, yet as I looked up the lyrics, it does seem familiar. As I stood there holding a bowl of water for people, it was a holy moment.

Here are the lyrics to the song:

God, I'm on my knees againGod, I'm begging please againI need youOh, I need you
Walking down these desert roadsWater for my thirsty soulI need youOh, I need you
Your forgivenessIs like sweet, sweet honey on my lipsLike the sound of a symphony to my earsLike Holy water on my skin
Dead man walking, slave to sinI wanna know about being born againI need youOh, God, I need you
So, take me to the riversideTake me under, baptizeI need youOh, God I need you
Your forgivenessIs like sweet, sweet honey on my lipsLike the sound of a symphony to my earsLike holy water on my skin(On my skin)
I don't wanna abuse your graceGod, I need it every dayIt's the only thing that ever really makes me wanna change
I don't wanna abuse your graceGod, I need it every dayIt's the only thing that ever really makes me wanna change
I don't wanna abuse your graceGod, I need it every dayIt's the only thing that ever really makes me wanna change
I don't wanna abuse your graceGod, I need it every dayIt's the only thing that ever really makes me wanna change
Your forgivenessIs like sweet, sweet honey on my lips (yes, it is)Like the sound of a symphony to my earsIt's like holy water
Your forgivenessIs like sweet, sweet honey on my lipsLike the sound of a symphony on my earsIt's like holy water on my skinIt's like holy water on my skinIt's like holy water

-----------------------------------------------------------

Here is a video of the song sung by "We the Kingdom"


I am grateful for the opportunity to serve in the church that sent me into ministry. It's not the only church responsible for my becoming a pastor, but it had much to do with it. 

Peace in and on the journey, 
Rev. Deb


No comments:

Post a Comment