Sunday, December 31, 2023

Final Outdoor Time for 2023

Today's weather was perfect for getting outdoors! Though I didn't have the energy to walk or hike, I did head to one of my favorite hammock spots at North Chickamauga Creek Gorge. Normally I would spend time climbing around on the rocks and exploring, but today I didn't even have the strength to do that. I've been sick since the day after Christmas and after spending two days in bed with fever, I tested positive for Covid. Thankfully it wasn't as bad as the first time I had it and I didn't need medication for my lungs. But, I have been quarantined to my part of the house for a full six days and my strength and energy are low.

Getting out and getting into nature was an important move for me today-- heart, mind, body, and soul.

I hung up my hammock in my spot, then headed to a favorite rock for some close-up photos of the water. I took a short video for contemplative reflection and then headed back up to the hammock. My heart was racing by the time I got back, reminding me to take it easy and simply "be". 

The sun was shining brightly above and felt great! It was 52 degrees Fahrenheit and warmed up to 55 degrees while I was there. There was a slight breeze that blew, but it wasn't too cold. I was prepared with a blanket sleeping bag, a jacket and a warm cap. 

Just being able to hear the roar of the creek as I hung in the hammock was a gift today. I haven't been there in a while and it brought healing to me today. 

Outdoor time, time in nature is a spiritual practice for me. Spending time in a hammock is a spiritual practice. Playing around on the rocks, being next to the water, listening to and watching the water..... all offer life to me in my spiritual journey. 

Resting. Being. Healing. 

It was a great way to end 2023.

Here are my photos and my video for reflection and contemplation.
















tent stakes by a tree--odd, but there

sunset from home--last sunset of 2023

my video-- 1 minute of water


I hope the photos and video offer you a glimpse of my experience today.  Maybe if you aren't able to get out into nature for some reason, you can use the photos and video as a way of sacred viewing to put you there. (Another spiritual practice... visio divina-- sacred seeing/viewing.)

I look forward to continuing this spiritual practice of getting outside and spending time in my hammock in 2024.

Peace!

Rev. Deb

No comments:

Post a Comment