Sunday, December 31, 2023

2023 in review

It's that time of year again when I take some time to look in the rear-view mirror to reflect on the past year. 

I pull out my calendar and see if I can read my hand-writing. Kidding. Sort of.

Let's take a look back at 2023.

I had looked on someone's post that said the first four words you see are your mantra for 2023. The words I saw were these: woop, change, strength, breakthrough. For the post on that, you can go here: My 2023 Mantra. Interestingly, as I have reflected back on 2023, there has been quite a bit of celebration (woop!), change, strength, and breakthrough. It was my first year to have a mantra and it was kinda cool. 

Here are some of the highlights from each month:

January

  • celebrated my dad's bday
  • attended my great-niece's 1 year bday party

February

  • went to Costa Rica 3-8 to check out a new place to me near Ciudad Quesada
  • saw the show "Chicago" at Memorial Auditorium

March

  • celebrated 19 years of marriage
  • started riding my bike for the year 
  • created an exercise goal for 150 minutes per week of biking, walking, hiking, stretching, etc. 

April

  • helped out on a habitat build
  • exercised 14 hours and 42 minutes this month, averaging 245 minutes per week (WOOP!)

May

  • celebrated my parents' anniversary (61st)
  • hit 100 miles on the bike for the year
  • found a 15 mile bike ride--Cycle Sequatchie-- for October and started making plans for it
  • worked on PFLAG Chattanooga website
  • exercised 19 hours and 28 minutes, averaging 313 minutes per week

June

  • attended Moo Fest in Athens, TN with PFLAG Athens
  • Annual Conference at Lake Junaluska in NC
  • hit 200 miles on bike for the year on the 16th!
  • kicked off PFLAG restart

July

  • attended Hearts on Fire retreat in Atlanta, GA-- Daniel Wolpert was speaker
  • went to first CACPC event as incoming board member

August

  • saw Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat in Dalton
  • Riley and Charlie went to a wrestling match in GA and on a short trip together

September

  • first official CACPC board meeting and training
  • went to Little Debbie Park for first time-- with Charlie and Cliff
  • my 1 year anniversary volunteering with Welcome Home of Chattanooga
  • my first experience with major tooth pain-- turned out to need a root canal and a crown
  • saw Biko Casini in concert at a private residence

October

  • Cycle Sequatchie-- my first bike ride entry as an adult! 
  • Chattanooga Pride parade and booth for PFLAG Chattanooga
  • decided to see if I could lower my A1C and weight by consuming less alcohol weekly and began keeping track of what I was drinking
  • saw Carrie Newcomer in concert at UTC

November

  • trip to NYC to visit with Charlie
  • Porangui concert in Chattanooga

December

  • finished requirements for Spiritual Direction certificate program through Columbia Theological Seminary (woop!)
  • needed another root canal next to the first one due to calcified roots (learned later) and ongoing pain (what kept sending me back)
  • Asian Lantern Festival at the Chattanooga Zoo

Spent some time going to Blairsville, GA, but not as much as last year, but we did a few projects this year: we replaced the lattice covering on the bottom of the shed, finally water-proofed the bench we had worked on in 2022, and tackled the tons of leaves that were under the RV.

I was able to pulpit supply about a handful of times this past year for several different churches and help out at the church that we attend.

Bamboo Encounter and Welcome Home of Chattanooga were ongoing opportunities to serve throughout the year.  Getting PFLAG Chattanooga up and running again has been a great investment of time and energy involving opportunities in community and lots of awesome coffee meetings with my friend Matt! 

I was able to bike and walk more in 2023 than in 2022. Though I did hike quite a bit, I didn't hike as much as in 2022. Here are my statistics for 2023:

  • Biking: 327.83 miles (my goal was 400) for a total of 36 hours and 44 minutes
  • Walking: 104.47 miles for 46 hours.
  • Hiking: 39.21 miles for 22 hours 42 minutes

Now, those are the statistics that were calculated on the app. There may have been bike rides, walk, and/or hikes that were not recorded. And, that's okay. It's helpful to keep track, so I do.

In addition to what shows up above, there were other family gatherings, coffees, meals, friend gatherings, activities, etc. I made my first stained glass piece in 2023--- with LOTS of help. It was cool.  I gave blood several times this past year and would have given again, except the tooth issues at the end of the year. 

Family continues to be my focus while I'm on family leave on absence. I continue to learn more about the two businesses and I enjoy being in my hometown during the week. 

Life is an adventure and continues to unfold. 2023 brought healing for me. It has been a year of celebration (woop!), change, strength, and breakthrough.

I'll write more about what to expect in 2024 later.

I was going to go through 2023 and find a highlight photo from each month, but there were too many of family and experiences to post.

Here's to a wonderful 2023, full of love, family, experiences, and growth..... and here's to the expectancy of a new year!

May the adventurous journey continue!

Deb

No comments:

Post a Comment