Monday, December 4, 2023

The Advent Remedy

This year I have chosen to travel Advent with Peter Traben Haas. I had read a quote one morning from him a few weeks back that resonated with me, so I looked him up. I found his Advent book and a contemplative prayer book. 

Today, on the first Monday of Advent, there are several things that already speak to me, offering me something I cannot quite name as I lean into this season. Though I cannot name it, there is something very good about it.

Here are some of the words, phrases, and quotes from today's reading that stood out to me: 

"Advent is a remedy. It's a four-fold count of grace, spinning us body and soul, deeper  into the inner space of silence, the light of love touches our tongue with cleansing fire, so to speak and be spoken to with goodness that heals." (9)

"...our essential goodness." (9)

"You are beautiful. You are good. You are loved." (9)

"The remedy of Advent heals even the deepest shadows of our being, where the pain still lingers, like a frozen bruise, blinding us to the deeper goodness hiding under the pain." (9)

"...words somehow keep helping me light the way." (10)

"contemplative speaking" (11)

"contemplative Advent" (11)

As I return to the preface or introduction, I am reminded to "watch the Light and let the Light watch you" (5) "Be still. Listen. Watch. Wait." (5)

Though the author mentions watching the fading light from dusk to dark, this morning I went outside for a little bit (it was 39 degrees Fahrenheit and I didn't stay more than probably 8 minutes) to see the sky, to be still, listen, watch, wait.



Instead of fading light, I saw growing light. Advent is a time of growing light. Each week another candle is lit and the additional light adds brightness. Even when one light shines, the light grows.

The light grows within us too. Think on that. 

As I reflect on lingering pain being like frozen bruises and the deeper goodness hiding under the pain to which I am blinded, I look forward to the remedy of Advent to bring healing and to remind me of my essential goodness. 

I invite you to join me this Advent on the Advent remedy adventure. If you join me, I invite you to share your thoughts and reflections along the way.

As the author wrote: "Let's take the Advent remedy together." (11)

Rev. Deb

1 comment: