Thursday, March 15, 2012

What do you do when there seems to be no time?

Do you ever feel like there's no time to reflect, to contemplate, to think about where you are in life, where you are going, where you have been?  Do you find it difficult to make those times to "be still and know..."?

As you might guess from my one and only post from February and my lack of posts so far into March, that's me right now. 

My time is filled with reading commentaries, Scripture, books for my Mark class.  Oh, then there are the books for the mentored ministry class and the Academy books.  With all the reading and assignments, plus the hours for the internship this semester on location, and attempting to stay on top of work, life, etc.  Well, I've put off writing. 

Writing is a way for me to process what is going on spiritually, however.  So, what do I do when I don't have time to write?  I make "fire-pit" time.  I get outside by the firepit and have quiet time outside.  Sometimes, even without a fire.  Just listening to the sounds of nature, feeling the cool breeze.

If I had the luxury of time to go out on a hiking trail, I would do that.  I would immerse myself in the Creator's creation and soak in the beauty of the surroundings.  But, right now, I settle for the beauty of my backyard.  I can see the mountain range through the trees.  I can hear the birds singing.  I can hear and feel the wind.  It helps bring calmness and peace to my soul.

I try to read some devotion and Scripture for reflection, along with quotes from various authors.  When there doesn't seem to be lots of time, the short quotes and the short verses are the ones I grab and hold on to throughout the day. 

I listen to the radio or CDs, in English or in Spanish, to songs that inevitably seem to share words and thoughts that meet me right where I am. 

I rest.  Or, I try to.  Some days my body makes me rest.  I have learned to listen more to my body and rest when it says rest. 

I try to find time for sheer relaxation, fun, laughter, fellowship.

All this when there is no time?!?!? ☺

Balance.  Spinning the plates.  Juggling the balls.

As I am so focused on trying to do all things well to the Glory of God and for the Audience of One, I hope and pray that I don't miss the moments of opportunity that come my way.  So, in these days of no time, I also try to be open to whatever it is that God brings my way.

I'm learning and growing.  This journey continues to be amazing, difficult, painful, joyful, insightful, and full of mystery.

I don't know how you do it on your journey, but this is how I'm doing it.  Right now.  At this time.  I'm hoping for some more time in the future.  Time to reflect more on the things I'm hearing and experiencing, time to process the puzzle pieces that are being revealed..... Time to worship and praise, time to "Be still and know...."

Blessings on your journey!

~Debra

No comments:

Post a Comment