Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Random thoughts....reflections on life, ministry, and who knows what?

Tonight is January 30th, the eve of the last day in the month of January.  Where, oh, where has this month gone?!?!

I turned off the television because there wasn't really anything to watch (or to captivate my attention).

I have things to do....

I am reading Journey Inward, Journey Outward by Elizabeth O'Connor.  It's one of the required readings for session #8 of Academy #32.  It's hard to fathom that my Upper Room Academy for Spiritual Formation will be over in April.  Well, not truly "over".  As a wise woman in my beadisciple.com workshop put it, the journey is just beginning.  I get that. ☺  This journey that I've been on for almost 2 years has taught me much, but it doesn't end in April. 

This book that I'm reading in preparation for April was written in 1968.  My version was published in 1975.  Yet, it is as appropriate and current now (and even cutting edge) as it was then.  It has been full of nuggets.  I will likely post at some point on it.

Tonight's Bible Study at church was on another Kingdom Parable, two actually: the mustard seed and leaven.  We each got a mustard seed.  I attempted to take a picture of it in my hand, but it was too close and therefore a tad blurry.  But, I decided that this tiny seed is going to become a tree.  Now, it might become a figurative tree instead of a literal one, but that's okay.  I still aim to plant it though.  Much like Mustard Tree Ministries here locally, I am curious to see what ministries will flow from this tiny mustard seed as it grows.  What branches will branch off from the investments?  I imagine there will be fruit of which I am never aware.  Yet, I give myself to the unknown and surrender my tiny seed to the Kingdom so that God will grow it into whatever it is that it is to be.

I have thoughts of Camel Land and friends, known and unknown.  I wish I could be there to encourage, to carry the burden of work, to help sort things out, or to simply have a cup of tea.  Yet, I am here and they are there.  I can only think on the things I have been given and turn those things over to someone bigger than myself.  I know why they are on my mind tonight.... at least I think I do.  They may be on my mind for some other reason and I may be called to lift them up.  So, I lift them up even now as I write.

Oh, how I am enjoying my BeADisciple.com workshop community!  This is my 3rd time to facilitate the course on Growing Spiritually Through Daily Discipline.  It is a Lay Speaker course that uses a Steve Harper book, Devotional Life in the Wesleyan Tradition Workbook.  One does not have to be seeking Lay Servant Certification to take the workshop; it can be taken for personal enrichment.  Every time I enter into this workshop, I am pleasantly amazed at the wonderful community that is brought together to learn and grow for the seven weeks.  It is truly a blessing!

For the first time ever, my blog might reach a record of 1,500 hits for a month.  That is mind-boggling to me.  Readership is world-wide... another mind-boggling thing for me.  I wonder.... is this part of my mustard tree?  Has my tree already been growing and producing branches without me even being aware?!?!

Last week I went to another friend's father's viewing.  That made 3 in six months.  There was another viewing and another funeral in that time too.  Death and dying always become a cause for reflection as they point to life, family, relationships, healing, reconciliation... as well as the rougher spots along the journey. 

I continue to learn about myself and to grow.  There is much to learn still and much growing to do.  Layer upon layer, moment upon moment.  My hope and my desire is that the more I learn and grow, that I will be able to live out the ministry of presence in the lives of others.... that I will be able to truly love others.... by listening, by serving, by sharing.  I hope that through the cracks in this vessel that the light will shine through, revealing the Source of its existence in and through me.

On the good days, I imagine God's love and light are seen shining through.  On the bad and ugly days (yes, they exist in my life!), it would be my hope and desire that at some point, God's love and light are seen as I respond with humility, seek forgiveness, etc. 

So, thus endeth a rambling random post.  Does it even make sense?!!?!  Who knows?  But, I do know at least one person who can appreciate random thoughts.  And, for that person, there is duct tape awaiting your return.  For the rest of you, you may be wondering what random thoughts and duct tape have in common.  All I know is that they have become associated for me.  ☺ Maybe duct tape is what I need to pull together my thoughts?!?!

Blessings on your journey.... whether it be inward or outward at this very moment, be engaged and intentional!

~Debra

1 comment:

  1. thank you, friend - for the prayers and thoughts and random blog post...love it! and we do really feel and appreciate your prayers here... thank you.

    ReplyDelete