Saturday, January 26, 2013

Time outdoors at one of my favorite spots

My daughter is gone this weekend to Gatlinburg, TN for the middle school Resurrection and my husband had to work today.  So, after having taken care of some things at home this morning (finally finishing one of my session #2 Academy books, The Message of the Psalms by Walter Brueggemann, and catching up on my online beadisciple.com workshop I am facilitating), I grabbed my backpack and took off to the woods to one of my favorite spots, North Chickamauga Creek and Gorge.  AHHHH!!

However, upon arriving there, I found a church bus parked in the driveway.  The gate was locked.  Let down.  But, I pulled in next to the bus, got out, and starting chatting with the guys.  They were scout leaders from Knoxville, TN.  They had an overnight backpacking permit and planned to hike in and camp out with some of their troop.  They weren't expecting a locked gate.  Neither was I.  One of the leaders turned out to be a Bryan College graduate, graduating a few years before I came on campus to teach.  He met his wife there.  We had some friends in common on the campus and chatted BC Lions for a few.  They had called the appropriate numbers and someone was on the way to unlock the gate, so this allowed for calm chatting.  The boys were on and off the bus, a tad restless.  A guy came and unlocked the gate.  He was a neighbor and had gotten a call to come unlock it.

We were able to get in!  I was hoping for some kayakers, but sadly saw none.  However, I saw boulderers (people who boulder) as I started down the trail.  I asked if I could watch and take some pictures and they granted permission.  One had been at it for 2 years; the other about a year and a half.  They both try to get out at least weekly to boulder.  They had parked up on the road and had come down through the woods.  I watched and took some pictures, then ventured on.

As I left that area, I spotted some china on the ground.  That is odd for the woods.  I took a picture of it, then picked it up.  I wonder how it got there was one thing on my mind.  But the other thing in my thoughts was how perfect this piece would be for my friend Jeanne who does broken china art/jewelry with her Broken Elegance.

I wandered on down the trail, listening to the roar of the filled creek from all the rain we have gotten recently.  With the creek to my left, I walked along, stopping to take pictures and admiring the recently worked over path.  They have been doing work on the path with some sort of machinery, moving some rocks and smoothing it out.  It was quite muddy in spots, yet decent.

Meanwhile, the scouts haven't started on their trek just yet.  They are gathered outside their bus, getting their gear together... or so it seems from a distance.  Some rangers come and are chatting with them too.

After going down the path a while, the bouldering guys pass me as they look for more boulders to climb.

I decided to head back and go down to the lower picnic area so I get closer to the water and on the rocks.

As I headed back and passed through the parking lot, the scouts were still going through their gear, so I stopped for a chat and a photograph.  One of the scouts has graduated up to being a leader.  His sister went to Bryan, after I had been there.  I got to visit with the rangers a little too.

Then, I was off for some more rocks and water and/or silence and solitude.  As I neared my destination, there was someone heading back to their vehicle.  I hung out on the large flat rock for a while, but moved further away to not be in their space. 

I went to the gauge area and took some pictures.  I climbed over rocks and trees and made my way through the brush.  I found what looked to be a fossil rock.  I took a few pictures and left it there, though I was tempted to keep it because it almost looked like it could have been animal toes. 

I decided to video record some of the trickling and rushing waters for future quiet time meditation. 

When I decided to head back to the car, I went up by a tiny creek branch.  I found myself crossing back and forth as the path was best.  Suddenly it struck my that this was just like my childhood days when I would play in the woods at my Dad's campground, Trails Inn, off Connector 3, in Dalton, GA.  I would play in the woods for hours by the water, in the woods, etc.  A huge smile crossed my face as I realized the connection.  Those woods no longer exist.  My family and I went back recently to see when in Dalton.  Some of the campground still exists.  The fishing pond is still there.   The office building is there.  They are different, yet there.  There are mobile units on some of the sites and houses or other mobile units built up on the hill where the Enduro races would start.  The creek is still there.  But on the other side, there are no woods.  They have been destroyed.  There are industrial plants on the other side now.  So, even though I have felt a calling 'to go back' for a couple of years now, there is no 'back' to go to.  At least not physically.  I had to go see it to know that.  Yet, I believe there is still a 'back' spiritually and that is part of my spiritual growth and unfolding as I continue this journey.

Today was a breath of fresh air for me in my journey.  I got out into the woods.  I played on the big and little rocks.  I even skipped one rock.  I found some treasures of nature and other treasures.  I had conversations with people and made connections, even if we never see each other again.

But, most of all, I had time in creation with the Creator.  I basked in the beauty of the handiwork and was renewed by what I saw and what I heard.  My soul was also touched deep down at a level I won't fully understand as I travelled "home" to Trails Inn for a moment, to the early days of hanging out with my Creator in creation.

It was a few hours of body, soul, and mind relaxation, refreshment, rejeuvenation, filling, healing, and truly who knows what else?!?!

This was part of my journey today.  Contemplative with silence, solitude, nature and then some conversation thrown in.

What in your day has blessed your spirit? 

Blessings on your journey,

~Debra

 



 



 



 




2 comments: