|A tree at the Life Enrichment Center (LEC) in Fruitland Park, FL. This struck me as hands in prayerful formation. dd 7/29/11|
I wanted to put together a list of resources that might benefit others who are looking to learn and grow on their spiritual faith journey. This is by no means an exhaustive list nor will it necessarily have what you might be looking for and/or need. A couple of the resources listed are local to my area, but most are not and can used by anyone, anywhere. Maybe this is a list you not only find something for yourself, but you share with others as you come across others seeking to learn and grow along their journey. I hope there will be something for you here.
Blessings on your journey as you continue to learn and grow!
"Spiritual Learning and Growth Opportunities"
Devotionals and other readings
- Our Daily Bread--published by RBC ministries since 1956
- Weavings--A Journal of the Christian Spiritual Life
- Alive Now--A magazine that seeks to nourish people who are hungry for a sacred way of living
- Conversations Journal--A Forum for Authentic Transformation
- Discipleship Journal--Helping you grow in Christ
Spiritual Gifts Inventories
- Gifted To Serve--this inventory contains 125 questions and will take 20-45 minutes
- Team Ministry Spiritual Gifts Inventory--This inventory contains 108 questions
Online Learning Opportunities
- BeADisciple.com--offers workshops for personal enrichment and learning and Advanced Lay Servant Certification. It is part of the Institute for Discipleship at Southwestern College. “The Institute for Discipleship is dedicated to providing educational opportunities that nurture and enrich Christian leaders, lay and clergy, for effective living and ministry.”
- Online Learning Center of the United Methodist Church--Some courses are free; others are offered at a nominal charge.
- Online Continuing Education Consortium throughthe GBHEM (General Board of Higher Education & Ministry). [UMC related]. Courses are offered through various seminaries for Continuing Education (CU) credits and/or for personal enrichment if CU credits are not needed or desired.
- Online courses through RBC Ministries--they offer courses through several sponsors for free (over 40 courses are offered for free), for CEUs (over 40 courses for a nominal cost [most are about $40]), and for credit (for those seeking an academic track).
- Online Retreats on Classical Spiritual Practices and Sacred Texts--they offer other online courses on demand too.
Retreats, Academies, and Learning Opportunities
- SoulFeast--“SOULfeast is The Upper Room’s spiritual formation event for children, youth, and adults who seek deepening spirituality across a spectrum of experiences that nourish the soul.” (Held at Lake Junaluska, NC)
- St. Mary's Sewanee--(The Ayres Center for Spiritual Development). St. Mary’s offers retreats and learning opportunities). “Resting on 230 acres atop the Cumberland Plateau, St. Mary's Sewanee offers a sanctuary of natural beauty and quiet for rest, renewal and reconnection. St. Mary’s Sewanee is a place that caters to individual and group spiritual needs through a variety of personal retreats and group programs.”
- Alban Institute--The Alban Institute offers resources, courses, etc. On their “About” link, they state their purpose: “At Alban, we seek to develop strong congregational leaders who have the creativity, the endurance, and the joy to do the work needed to fulfill their congregations’ particular callings.”
- Walk to Emmaus--The Walk to Emmaus is sponsored by the Upper Room. From the “About” section on their website, it “is an experience of Christian spiritual renewal and formation that begins with a three-day short course in Christianity. It is an opportunity to meet Jesus Christ in a new way as God’s grace and love is revealed to you through other believers.” Chrysalis is the youth movement. Information for it can be found from the main page.
- Upper Room--The Upper Room offers several magazines that are helpful in spiritual growth, including: The Upper Room Daily Devotional, Weavings, Alive Now and Pockets (for children). They also offer programs and ministries such as the Walk to Emmaus, the Academy for Spiritual Formation (5 day and 2 year), SOULfeast, and Companions in Christ.
- The Academy for Spiritual Formation (5 Day Academy / 2 Year Academy)--From the "About" section: "Since 1983, the Academy for Spiritual Formation® has offered an environment for spiritually hungry pilgrims, whether lay or clergy, that combines academic learning with experience in spiritual disciplines and community. The Academy's commitment to an authentic spirituality promotes balance, inner peace and outer peace, holy living and justice living, God's shalom. Theologically the focus is Trinitarian, celebrating the Creator's blessing, delighting in the companionship of Christ and witnessing to the power of the Holy Spirit to transform lives, churches and the world.”
- Renovaré--Similar to the Academy for Spiritual Formation, Renovaré is dedicated to helping people grow in their spiritual journey. From the “Who We Are” section: “We seek to resource, fuel, model, and advocate more intentional living and Spiritual Formation among Christians and those wanting a deeper connection with God. A foundational presence in the Spiritual Formation movement for over 20 years, Renovaré is Christian in commitment, ecumenical in breadth, and international in scope.”
- Lake Junaluska-- Conference and retreat center located in N.C. offering retreats and training events throughout the year.
That's all I have for now. Hopefully you will find something that will help you grow in your faith journey and/or lead you to another resource for that purpose.
Blessings on your journey,