Sunday, May 18, 2014

3213 Kensington Rd... what a transformation




After my grandmother Meemo died, my Mom and her sister sold the property in Avondale Estates, GA.  We all knew what would happen to the home that my grandfather had built and in which my grandmother had raised the girls.  Well, we thought we knew.  The contractor didn't exactly tear the whole house down.  He kept some of the bones and built around it.  That way, some of the original 1942 house is still there.  But, it's not recognizable.  Even so, it's beautiful.  The current asking price is $619,000 (it started at $679, 900).  The price is way over my budget.
What I liked seeing in the pictures were the pine trees still looming high above the house on the side, the gigantic magnolia tree in the backyard, and the driveway.  Though the driveway is new, it is still the "old style".  

I can hear Meemo's particular and distinct "oooh" as she sees the 3025 sq. ft. house.  Her "oooh" started on one note and went into another.  She would likely be impressed by all the bells and whistles in the beautiful home but would wonder why it's necessary.  Her tiny 2 bedroom home was sufficient for all those years. 

Whoever buys that new home will also be buying a gorgeous lot.  They will have the opportunity to make their own memories in the magnolia tree. 

I am grateful for all the memories I have of that home, that yard, and the Avondale Estates community.  It was a wonderful place to visit and to call "home" during visits with my grandmother.

Best wishes on the sale of the new home!

Debra

No comments:

Post a Comment