Sunday, May 25, 2014

Centering Prayer Workshop at St. Mary's Sewanee

   
 


It couldn't have been a more gorgeous day to be up on the mountain at St. Mary's yesterday for the Centering Prayer Workshop.  The sky was clear and sunny and there were nice breezes.  Though indoors primarily, I was able to enjoy the outdoors and view upon my arrival, walking to the conference room (the new building), to lunch, and back to my car at the end of the workshop.

It is always peaceful at St. Mary's.  A place I can breathe in and breathe out, deepening my breathing and restoring my rhythm.  I've only been up there now 3 times, but it seems like many more times.  The women's "Captivating" retreat we held there a couple of years ago, the Lenten 1/2 day retreat last Spring, and then yesterday's Centering Prayer Workshop.

Yesterday's workshop was led by Rev. Margaret Marshall.  There were a total of 18 participants, 5 male and 13 female, from GA, TN, and AL.  The group was mixed with some never having experienced/practiced centering prayer and some having done so and having met with a group locally.  Some of us were there because we weren't ready to jump into the 3 day or the 8 day silent retreat just yet, but the workshop day was the perfect springboard.

The workshop was a wonderful breath of fresh air for me.  Not only did we practice Centering Prayer twice during our time together, but the teaching time about Centering Prayer and discussion was helpful too.  In addition, the time of fellowship around the awesome fresh baked blueberry muffins upon our arrival and the table fellowship at lunch were wonderful!  Lunch time table fellowship centered around gazpacho soup (something I have been craving for a while), red quinoa with avocado, etc. salad, homemade pimento cheese sandwiches, and shortbread cookies.   Edifying conversations around healthy food.... what could be better?!?!


One of the resources we received at the workshop is "The Method of Centering Prayer: The Prayer of Consent" brochure by Thomas Keating.  It can be found and downloaded at the Contemplative Outreach Website by clicking this link.  There are versions of the brochure in other languages under "Documents" as you scroll down the page. 

If you live in the United States and are looking for connections within the Contemplative Outreach group, you can search by state and city by clicking on this link.  This is how I found the group I attend locally and I have also contacted groups in other locations when I am going to travel.

If you live outside the United States, there is a link for you too.  Click here to find out what might be available in your area.

Psalm 46:10--"Be still and know that I am God" is the verse used on the brochure and was the verse used in the workshop.  It is a verse that has been in my life for quite a few years now, as I have mentioned in the past.  Becoming still in order to listen to God continues to be a challenge for me and I know it will be an ongoing challenge.  But, what a gift yesterday to myself, to take time to get apart, to be still, to be quiet, and to be able to listen.  

I haven't been able to make the Centering Prayer group locally in several months.  I have missed the group time of centering prayer.  There is definitely something to coming together in community and praying, even praying silently that deepens one's relationship with God, even when one doesn't fully know what work is being or has been done at the time.  The times of centering prayer in yesterday's workshop made me realize that I need to find and make a way in my schedule to get back as soon as possible to the group because it has become a sacred place for me and I miss it.

There were other things that came out of yesterday that were moments of surprise.... one was seeing a friend's nametag on the table upon my arrival.  That was a fun surprise to see her name, but I knew she had signed up for the July workshop, so I knew I wasn't likely to see her there.  Other surprises came out in conversation.... several connections to Camp Skyline through former campers and their children ☺; a woman's son who attended UGA for Forestry who now teaches at the university in Starkville, MS (my grandfather was State Forester in GA back in the day); conversations about places to go and stay on retreats, such as the Abbey in KY; etc.

Carving out time in my week for the centering prayer workshop was well worth the time, the drive, the cost. 

Investing in deepening my relationship with the One who created me and knows me best is always a solid investment.  Having said that, the results of deepening this relationship aren't always easy to understand or even to accomplish.  Just as all relationships require time, effort, and energy, so does the relationship with the One who knows me best. 

I hope to take the new resources I've learned about at the workshop and use them on my adventurous journey.

If you find something helpful here in this post for your journey, cool.  It's okay if you didn't.

Blessings on your journey,

Debra

P.S.

If you'd like to attend the next Centering Prayer Workshop at St. Mary's, it is on July 26 and will be led by Rev. Tom Ward.  Learn more about it here.

For the Middle Tennessee newsletter of Centering Prayer, click here.



No comments:

Post a Comment