Thursday, September 18, 2014

Making Room For God-- mid-week vespers service

Hixson UMC, 6:30 pm weekly, chapel (old sanctuary)
Last night's mid-week vespers theme was "Making Room For God" from Week 46 of A Guide To Prayer For All Who Seek God.   This weekly service is all about opening space in our lives to allow God in, to work, to move, to heal, etc.  For the theme to be all about what the service is about was very timely and appropriate.

The service begins with a few announcements and then the ringing of a chime.  Last night I got to be the chime ringer.  I was in the chime choir at a former church and enjoy those better than bells, so that was fun to have one in my hand again.  The chime is rung three times semi slowly to signify the beginning of the service.

The order of the worship service is below:


The meditation by Rueben Job is on pages 341 and 342 of the green prayer guide.  He asks this question toward the end of the reading: "What do you feel called to give up in order to find room for God in your life?" (342)

Last night's service was a time of opening space for God, making that room.  Through the quiet, the reflection, the prayer, the singing, the sitting and being.  I felt my soul catching up to my body and relaxing into God's presence.  That's a good feeling.  It comes back to one of my favorite verses.... Be still and know that I am God (Psalm 46:10). 

Carving out time to just "be" so that I am strengthened and energized to return to "do" is a necessary rhythm in my life that I've come to understand, appreciate, desire, and live into.  The rhythm isn't always the same.   Sometimes the rhythm might be slow and methodical, going throughout the day or week.  At other times, there are situations that require much more "be" time and the journey inward and outward takes on a more frequent pattern.  It is similar to taking a "time out" when one knows they need a moment (or more) to cool down, to think things through.   Taking "be" time in silence and reflection allows one to slow down. 

The mid-week service is a great time for me to find room for God in my life.  But that's not the only time I slow down to listen or "be".  Walking, writing, reading, taking pictures.... those things help me just "be" at times.  Sitting on a rock by the flowing waters of the creek.    Sometimes for me, "be" is mental and at other times it is mental and physical.  I attempt to listen to my body and my soul to see what is needed at the time. 

In my times apart and silence times, I have not yet done anything more than a 1/2 day of silence.  I hope to one day in the not-too-far-off future do a silent 3 day retreat.  Then, maybe, I can attempt a longer one.  Silence is a friend.  It's a bubble that allows God to work in me and allows me to rest in God.  I wouldn't claim that the silence is always restful, however, since the work that God might do isn't always something I'm wanting, willing, or ready to face.  But God is gracious and works gently.

Enough of my rambling....

I want to share the beginnings of two readings in this week's theme.  The first is by Norman Shawchuck.  He writes: "My God, I lift my face toward you now like a hungry child asking to be fed.  My soul is starved; my flesh yearns for the touch that only you can give.  Come to me, O God, and stay with me; I abandon myself into your hands.  Do with me as you will, and whatever you do with me, I thank you.  I am prepared for anything; I will accept everything so long as your will is accomplished in the totality of my living." (342)

I have read quotes by Norman Shawchuck before, but don't know anything about him.  So, I decided to look him up.  I learned that he passed in May 2012.  Here is a link that links to the obituary.  In this link at The Upper Room site, I saw that he was quite involved in leadership.  I found a resource that listed some of his conflict management books for the church.  The article with that resource is: "Staying Cool When the Heat is On: Causes and Cures for Conflict".

The second reading I would like to share talks about solitude and its benefits.  The author is Simon Peter Iredale and his quote is from The Interior Mountain.  Here is a portion of the beginning of the reading: "Solitude is obviously intended to be far more than just being physically alone.  It is the way we form a habit of retreat, creating a space and time when God can speak to us." (343)  The reading ends with this: "For you, too, solitude can be a place of transfiguration, a meeting place with the living God." (344)

I could share more.... because there are some other great readings in this week's theme.  But, I've already rambled on.

May there be silence and solitude along your journey.  May you find/make ways to make room for God. 

Blessings on the journey,

Debra

No comments:

Post a Comment