Friday, September 19, 2014

When Morning Gilds the Skies...

This morning as I took my morning walk at the Greenway Farms in Hixson off Hamill Road, a song popped into my head.  That isn't abnormal for me.  Songs are always randomly popping into my head... spurred on by something I see or hear.  The songs can be something from camp, something from the 70s or 80s or even oldies (because I grew up listening to 45s and still listen to oldies) or classic rock.  Yesterday a song from Kermit the Frog and the Muppet Movie jumped into my head as my husband and I were hiking.  But this morning the song was a hymn.  That's right, a hymn.

As I walked around the gravel curve at the Greenway and headed toward the barn and the gardens, I looked up and to my left and noticed the most spectacular view in the sky.  Immediately, the words "when morning gilds the sky" came to mind.  I had to look up the song to see that the last word was "skies" and to also clarify the rest of that phrase.  I knew it had "praise" and "Jesus" in it, but I couldn't remember exactly how it went.  It finishes like this:  "may Jesus Christ be praised".  I used the word "let" in my Facebook post. 

Friday, September 19, 2014 (Greenway Farms) "When Morning Gilds the Skies"
As I continued my walk, I noticed the changing of the sky and took another picture.  I had posted the first picture on Facebook with the first part of the song.  And the second picture I posted with the ending.  What a glorious sunrise this morning! 

Friday, September 19, 2014 (Greenway Farms) "let Jesus Christ be praised"

It filled me with hope and joy and reminded me that circumstances don't need to get the final word because God inhabits the praise of the people.

If that weren't enough, on my next round, I look up and see a cloud with its outline glowing brightly.  Wow.  It reminded me of that proverbial saying of clouds with silver linings.  That made me smile too.  Once again, the circumstances in our lives don't have the final word.  There is a silver lining in the cloud.  What a timely reminder.  I posted that on Facebook too and tagged my husband to encourage him.

cloud with silver lining (Greenway Farms), September 19, 2014
So, if all of that weren't enough, when I got to my computer this morning (after having studied Hebrew for a while), I downloaded my pictures from my Facebook feed.  As I was saving them, I saved them as "when morning gilds the skies" and the title pops up in my picture albums.  I already had a picture with that title.  Here's the cool part.  From last year, Friday September 20.  A year ago today, the sunrise caught my attention and put that song in my heart, mind, and soul.  Wow! 

Friday, September 20, 2013 (from front yard) "When Morning Gilds the Skies"
Now, that's something to sing about!

Per the hymnary.org site, the hymn is a German hymn (Beim frühen Morgenlicht)first published in 1828, but possibly written in 1700s or early 1800s.  It was translated in1854 by Edward Caswell.  It has been published in 584 hymnals.

So, join me in singing "When Morning Gilds the Skies" through the links below.



LYRICS TO "WHEN MORNING GILDS THE SKIES":
  1. When morning gilds the skies,
    My heart awaking cries:
    May Jesus Christ be praised!
    Alike at work and prayer,
    To Jesus I repair;
    May Jesus Christ be praised!
  2. Does sadness fill my mind?
    A solace here I find,
    May Jesus Christ be praised!
    Or fades my earthly bliss?
    My comfort still is this,
    May Jesus Christ be praised!
  3. When sleep her balm denies,
    My silent spirit sighs,
    May Jesus Christ be praised!
    When evil thoughts molest,
    With this I shield my breast:
    May Jesus Christ be praised!
  4. The night becomes as day
    When from the heart we say:
    May Jesus Christ be praised!
    The pow’rs of darkness fear
    When this sweet chant they hear:
    May Jesus Christ be praised!
  5. In heav’n’s eternal bliss
    The loveliest strain is this,
    [*Let earth’s wide circle round
    In joyful notes resound,]
    May Jesus Christ be praised!
    Let earth, and sea, and sky
    From depth to height reply,
    May Jesus Christ be praised!
  6. Be this, while life is mine,
    My song of love divine:
    May Jesus Christ be praised!
    Sing this eternal song
    Through all the ages long:
    May Jesus Christ be praised!

A link to the lyrics in German

Also, the song "My Soul Magnifies the Lord" by Chris Tomlin struck me as I was walking, so I have included it here for you to enjoy too.


I don't know what circumstances in your life might be a tad cloudy and/or heavy right now, but be encouraged that there is hope and joy even in those circumstances. 

Peace, strength, courage, and blessings to you on your journey,

Debra

1 comment:

  1. And minutes after you posted this, you called me — and "Whippoorwill" filled the air with the song from my cedar flute, just before noon MY time in St. Louis. Thank you for calling me. It was good to connect today.

    ReplyDelete