Wednesday, March 4, 2015

Starting to find my rhythm for this semester... the ebb and flow of it all

After almost a month of being in classes this semester (they started February 9), I am finally starting to get into a rhythm of studying, reading, and writing for my classes.  About time, right?!?!  Well, it has been difficult to get into rhythm for many reasons.  One has been the weather.  Though we live in the south and haven't had as much ice and snow as others, we have gotten some.  For two weeks of February, local county schools were out 7 1/2 days.  One of those days we had about 8 1/2 inches of beautiful, fluffy white snow so I took advantage of that and did some sledding with my teenager.

Another thing that happened on February 9 was my interview for commissioning for Provisional Elder with the United Methodist Church.  I wasn't sure at first if I would write anything about it or not.  Honestly, I haven't had much time to write in the month of February as my time has been dedicated primarily to my studies.  But I decided that I would like to share a little bit since I have found my rhythm.

I drove the 2 hour trip in my rolling sanctuary to Alcoa, TN.  I was able to catch up with a life long friend on the drive and then spend some time in silence and listening to some music.  I listened to a CD of praise music, Praise 18 "Grace Alone" for a good portion of the trip.  Many of those songs ministered to my soul.  Though it might seem odd to some, while I was listening to this grace CD, there was a moment in time where it was as if a parade of saints in my life went through my mind to let me know they knew what I was doing, supported me, were with me, and were encouraging me.  From my relatives who passed in the 1970s to my grandmother who passed last year to friends who have passed within this past year and even more recently, they passed through my mind.  And whether or not it was my mind or the Holy Spirit, there was confetti involved in celebration.  It was a little surreal, but it was also comforting.  As I neared Alcoa, I put in a Danilo Montero CD and switched into Spanish worship mode.  Ah.... a different way of ministering to my soul.  One of the songs, "yo sé quien soy yo" ("I know who I am") spoke to me as did the song that talked about how we are the body of Christ.  By the time I arrived at the church I was pumped in grace and filled with God's presence and ready for the interview.  I was excited (and a little nervous). I didn't really know what to expect.  But it was truly a time of blessing for me in many ways.

Here are the blessings: 
  • the stained glass windows in the sanctuary where we met for worship and communion
  • the songs, prayers, and Scriptures that were shared during worship
  • reconnecting with several people I knew and meeting new people
  • table fellowship 
  • being encouraged and affirmed in my calling
  • being challenged with helpful questions and receiving some good recommendations for resources

David Graybeal led our worship service, sharing a mid-day prayer, Scripture, short message.   The songs we sang were:  #568 "Christ for the World We Sing"  and # 578 - "God of Love and God of Power" from the UMC Hymnal.  All of this spoke to me.

Scripture: I Corinthians 9:16-23

What stood out to me in the message was the focus on 'by all means' to reach the people and meeting the people where they are.  That stuck with me and came out in my interview. ☺

We were told that we would hear something within a week.  The next day I got a call but I was in a meeting and couldn't answer it.  It went to voice mail.  After the meeting I checked my messages.  It was David Graybeal calling to tell me I had been approved for commissioning as Provisional Elder and would be commissioned at this Annual Conference in June.  Admittedly, a huge smile came across my face.  I was excited and happy.  This path that I am on is a path I feel led to be on and that phone call was another affirmation that indeed, I am on the right path.  

I now know my next step after graduation.  Not my exact next step.  Not yet.   I am excited.  I am nervous.  I have lots to give.  I have lots to learn.  I look forward to learning and growing.  Well, I look forward to it in some ways.  I know from much of my life experience that learning and growing doesn't come without some growing pains.  But that is okay too.  I have learned to grow in and through the pain.

I won't get it right all the time.  I don't expect to, nor have I always done so nor claimed it.  I do aspire to live Micah 6:8 as I continue this journey on this new leg-- I desire to act justly, to love mercy, and to walk humbly with my God.

Thankfully, I am within community (near and far) to hold me up, keep me accountable, pray for me, encourage me, exhort me, etc.  There will be challenges.... there are challenges.  I will walk the journey with as much integrity as I can, seeking to be a bridge to others on their journey, to be that wounded healer that continues to love God and love others.

This is where I am right now on my journey.  Where are you?

Peace and blessings wherever you are,

Debra


No comments:

Post a Comment