Sunday, February 8, 2015

Psalm 62-- Finding Rest in God Alone--outdoor time at North Chickamauga Creek

Today I needed more rest for my soul.  You might think that all that outdoors time on Thursday was enough to last me a long time.  The truth is, the more I have spent in silence and solitude over the past several years, the more my soul craves it.  It is in the silence that I can hear the One Voice most clearly and my soul finds rest.

My body rested yesterday, even though the weather was super perfect to be outside.

Today was a more cloudy day, though the sun broke through at times.  Still, I knew I needed to get out.  I went to North Chickamauga Creek Gorge.  I haven't been there in a while.  Without going up the hiking trail, it's not as long of a walk as other places, but it is a place I can go to experience water and rocks and be in creation.

When I got there this afternoon, I needed to park down at the bottom parking area.  There were about 30 cars there.  Lots of folks outside this afternoon.  I wonder what it was like at the Greenway Farm?

I walked along the hiking path and encountered several folks walking, some with dogs.  It was a great afternoon to be out.

Most everytime I am out in creation, the words "my soul magnifies the Lord" from a song come to mind.  Today, in addition, I kept thinking about my soul finding rest, finding rest in God alone.

Why would I need more rest for my soul after having had so much so recently?  I even had two worship services this morning plus the Thursday night worship time.

It is possible that the heaviness of this final semester that begins tomorrow is upon me.  The nine graduate credits is going to keep me very busy.

It is also possible that tomorrow's interview with the Board of Ordained Ministry occupies some of my mind.  I continue to trust God and seek to be an open and willing vessel, but because it is an important interview, the "nerve-excitedness" does come to surface at times.

There are other things that weigh down my soul at times.  I continue to give them over to the One who can take care of them better than I, yet the burden is there.  Even when God takes those burdens, there is day to day life that requires wisdom and discernment.

Psalm 62 (NIV-- from www.biblestudytools.com)

1 My soul finds rest in God alone; my salvation comes from him.
2 He alone is my rock and my salvation; he is my fortress, I will never be shaken.
3 How long will you assault a man? Would all of you throw him down-- this leaning wall, this tottering fence?
4 They fully intend to topple him from his lofty place; they take delight in lies. With their mouths they bless, but in their hearts they curse. "Selah"
5 Find rest, O my soul, in God alone; my hope comes from him.
6 He alone is my rock and my salvation; he is my fortress, I will not be shaken.
7 My salvation and my honor depend on God; he is my mighty rock, my refuge.
8 Trust in him at all times, O people; pour out your hearts to him, for God is our refuge. "Selah"
9 Lowborn men are but a breath, the highborn are but a lie; if weighed on a balance, they are nothing; together they are only a breath.
10 Do not trust in extortion or take pride in stolen goods; though your riches increase, do not set your heart on them.
11 One thing God has spoken, two things have I heard: that you, O God, are strong,
12 and that you, O Lord, are loving. Surely you will reward each person according to what he has done.
As I was walking along the hiking path and enjoying the sight and sounds of the roaring waters in the creek, I reflected on Psalm 61 and the verse about the rock being higher than I and its refuge from last week.  Psalm 62 also mentions God being a rock, salvation, and refuge.









There were many rocks at the creek.  One in particular caught my attention for being higher than I and one that could provide refuge and shelter.


There are several songs with "In God Alone" in them.

One is a Taizé song.  Taizé songs are peaceful and calming. 

Here are the lyrics to "In God Alone":

In God alone my soul can find rest and peace,
in God my peace and joy.
Only in God my soul can find its rest,
find its rest and peace.


Aaron Keyes-- "My Soul Finds Rest in God Alone"

Lyrics:
My soul finds rest in God alone, My Rock and my salvation, A fortress strong against my foes, And I will not be shaken. Though lips may bless and hearts may curse, And lies like arrows pierce me, I'll fix my heart on righteousness, I'll look to Him who hears me.

O praise Him, hallelujah, My Delight and my Reward; Everlasting, never failing, My Redeemer, my God.

Find rest, my soul, in God alone Amid the world's temptations; When evil seeks to take a hold I'll cling to my salvation. Though riches come and riches go, Don't set your heart upon them; The fields of hope in which I sow Are harvested in heaven.

O praise Him, hallelujah, My Delight and my Reward; Everlasting, never failing, My Redeemer, my God.

I'll set my gaze on God alone, And trust in Him completely; With every day pour out my soul, And He will prove His mercy. Though life is but a fleeting breath, A sigh too brief to measure, My King has crushed the curse of death And I am His forever.

O praise Him, hallelujah, My Delight and my Reward; Everlasting, never failing, My Redeemer, my God.

O praise Him, hallelujah, My Delight and my Reward; Everlasting, never failing, My Redeemer, my God.

O praise Him, O praise Him, hallelujah, hallelujah, O praise Him, O praise Him, hallelujah, hallelujah, O praise Him, O praise Him, hallelujah! hallelujah!

O praise Him, hallelujah, My Delight and my Reward; Everlasting, never failing, My Redeemer, my God.

O praise Him, hallelujah, My Delight and my Reward; Everlasting, never failing, My Redeemer, my God.

(instrumental) O praise Him, O praise Him, hallelujah, hallelujah, O praise Him, O praise Him, hallelujah, hallelujah, O praise Him, O praise Him, hallelujah! hallelujah! O praise Him, O praise Him, hallelujah! hallelujah!
Lyrics from <a href="http://www.elyrics.net" rel="nofollow">eLyrics.net</a>


One other song that comes from Psalm 62 is one I learned from the Upper Room Worship Book: #278--"God is My Rock" / «El Señor es mi fuerza».

I wrote a blog post about this song a while back (October 4, 2012) because it touched me so much during our Academy sessions. 

Here is a different group singing «El Señor es mi fuerza»:


I took one of my pictures and created a textgram today:


Maybe you were able to find some rest for your soul today.  Whether it was in something you read, something you listened to, some silence, some time with a spiritual friend, or time in creation, or something else, I hope that your soul has found rest.

My soul has.  Through the ebb and flow of life, it is a constant coming back to the center of my being, to the center of my relationship with my Creator, that allows my soul to rest.

May your soul find rest along your journey,

Debra

No comments:

Post a Comment