Thursday, October 4, 2012

God Is My Rock / El Señor es mi fuerza

Tonight's evening prayer time includes a healing service.  In the Academy week, the next to last night is the healing prayer service.  The last night?  Well, let's just say it's a little different from all the other evenings. ☺

Anyway, tonight was special for me on several levels.  One, I had been asked to read the Scripture in Spanish.  I enjoy speaking Spanish.  I enjoy reading Scripture.  I enjoy reading Scripture in Spanish.  Since I attend an English-speaking congregation, I don't get to read Scripture in Spanish.  Though there was that one Sunday I was scheduled to read Scripture the day we returned from our Costa Rica mission trip... and the Scripture was all about missions.... I was able to read both in Spanish and English that day.  That was a blast!  There is something in reading the Scriptures in Spanish that throttles my engine even more than reading it in English.  But, I digress.

So, I got to read Mark 5:25-34 tonight.  Even though Spanish has been my language for over 30 years, I still struggle with my "rr".  I struggle with the "r" sound in French too.  It took me forever (it seemed) to get that down the summer I was at Middlebury.  But, I don't worry too much because I still stumble, stutter, and struggle in my native language...English.

One of the songs tonight, "God Is My Rock"/«El Señor es mi fuerza», was on our worship plan.  It is in the Upper Room Worshipbook, #278.  Ot was written by Juan Antonio Espinosa and is based on Psalm 62. 

It is powerful in both languages.  But, tonight, I chose to sing it solely in Spanish.  It is one of those songs that causes emotion to well up within me.  The lyrics touch various parts of my life.... heart, mind, soul, and vocation.... so, that is likely why it gets me.

Blogpost in Spanish by the author of the song, Juan Antonio Espinosa, with the lyrics and information on where to find the song and buy it.

A new version of the song is found here at a website where it can be bought and/or played.  The website is OCPenespañol.

For a scanned page of the song and some information from hymnary.org, click here.

Video with background pictures and lyrics.

Lyrics in Spanish:

El Señor es mi fuerza,
mi roca y salvación.


Tú me guías por sendas de justicia,
me enseñas la verdad.
Tú me das el valor para la lucha,
sin miedo avanzaré.

El Señor es mi fuerza,
mi roca y salvación.


Iluminas las sombras de mi vida,
al mundo das la luz.
Aunque pase por valles de tiniebla,
yo nunca temeré.

El Señor es mi fuerza,
mi roca y salvación.


Yo confío el destino de mi vida
al Dios de mi salud.
A los pobres enseñas el camino,
su escudo eres Tú.

El Señor es mi fuerza,
mi roca y salvación.


El Señor es la fuerza de su pueblo,
su gran Libertador.
Tú le haces vivir en confianza,
seguro en tu poder.

El Señor es mi fuerza,
mi roca y salvación.


Lyrics in English:

Refrain (sing in the beginning and in between each verse)
God is my rock and my salvation,
the strength of my life.

1.
You still call us to walk the paths
of justice, you help us see the way.
As you give us the courage for life's trials,
we shall not be afraid.

2.
In the midst of our fears and darkening
shadows you bring us hope and light.
In your presence we go through death's dark valleys;
we shall not be afraid.

3.
We entrust you, the God of our salvation,
with all the future holds.
Guide, protect, and defend the poor and helpless;
you are their rock and shield.

4.
Lord Almighty, the great strength of your people,
our strong Deliverer.
Liberator, secure us in your power;
we trust in you alone.

So, another song from my Academy week, my overall Academy experience.  For some reason, I have focused quite a bit on songs this week.  The music tends to penetrate the depths of my heart, mind, and soul.... and enter into the hidden places of which I'm even unawares.  When it happens, I am reassured that God is working in my life, that God does have a calling on my life, and that I following my Guide.

Truly, God is my rock and my salvation, the strength of my life.  God is guiding me and giving me the courage to face the unknown.  God is illuminating the shadows of my life, peeling away the onion layer and revealing the true self.  I do have confidence in the destination of my life.

As you contemplate the lyrics of this song, in the language of your choosing, I hope it might speak to you.

Blessings on the journey,

~Debra ☺

No comments:

Post a Comment