Monday, October 1, 2012

Academy #32, Session #6-- "Cry of My Heart"

First, HAPPY OCTOBER!!  I can't believe today is actually the first day of October already.  Where does the time go?!?!

Today begins Academy #32, Session #6.  Today's drive down was fairly calm and uneventful (and I'm VERY thankful for that as I was mentally and physically exhausted prior to having to start it!).  The hardest part was rising out of bed at 3am to the sound of sweet, falling rain on the deck.  But I did it.  I made coffee, loaded the car, gave kisses goodbye to sleeping people, and took off on my journey.

I made it through the Atlanta traffic without getting caught in any of the accidents due to the rain.  YIPPEE!!  My first stop was the rest area right before I-475 outside of Macon.  Then I kept on keeping on.  After I got off on my exit for the Academy, I stopped for lunch at a "Mercado Latino" that I discovered last trip.  YUM!!  Plaintains (sweet and salty) and a papa relleno (fried mashed potatoes stuffed with ground beef). 

I pulled into the Life Enrichment Retreat Center a little before 2pm.  I got my keys, unloaded my car, and settled in for a short nap (after catching up with "Word with Friends").  Then, I headed over to the bookstore to browse.  I only bought a card today. 

We officially start off with a Word and Table worship service at 5pm.  I thoroughly enjoy seeing how the altar will be decorated, seeing Jesus (The Jesus Doll) in the worship space and wondering where he will be and how he will be dressed.  I also enjoy the bilingual worship--singing, praying, Scripture. 

Just as this is becoming my home away from home, however, it is time to start letting go.  A little.  But not too much too soon.  There is this session in which I must be 100% present and there are two more.  That last one is going to be difficult, I imagine.  It will be a process, but that can wait.

Back to this session. 

The Psalm song that we sang was from The Faith We Sing, #2165.  It is called "Cry of My Heart" and was written by Terry Butler in 1991.  It is based on Psalm 25:4-5.  The words immediately resonated within me, especially the line that said "open my heart more and more". 

That's what I want for this week--for my heart to be open, more and more.  I can't tell you now what that's going to mean, but that's my posture (or at least my desired posture) before God-- to be open, to be pliable. 

As if singing the song once wasn't enough for our first day, after our covenant groups, we met for evening worship and there was the same song again on the chalkboard.  Yes, we sang it again.  Hmm... really!?!?  Is there a message here?!?!

For a youtube link to the song, click here.

Lyrics:

It is the cry of my heart
To follow You
It is the cry of my heart
To be close to You
It is the cry of my heart
To follow
All of the days of my life

Teach me Your holy ways, O Lord
So I can walk in Your truth
Teach me Your holy ways, O Lord
And make me wholly devoted to You

Open my eyes to I can see
The wonderful things that You do
Open my heart up more and more
And make it wholly devoted to You

© 1991 Mercy/Vineyard Publishing



Another song that we sang in the first worship service tonight was "Sent Out in Jesus' Name"/"Enviado Soy de Dios".  That was great to hear tonight as that was the one I heard in Niagara Falls, Ontario at the church we visited.  That helped me feel at home there in Canada.  Tonight, singing the song reminded me of our worship time with our Canadian brothers and sisters. 

So, we're off and running for Session #6 of Academy #32.  I'm not sure what God has planned for me this session. 

I do know, however, that the cry of my heart is to be open to God more and more.  I am willing to continue going deeper.  My heart's desire is to love God and love others.

We'll see how it works out this week.  There are gaps this week.  There are several people who couldn't make it this session.  They are missed!  There are others who have dropped along the way.  They are missed too! 

Wherever you are on your journey, what is the cry of your heart?

Blessings as you journey onward,

~Debra  ☺

P.S.  Here's a picture of Jesus as I found him in the worship space this evening. 

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for the lyrics of this song along with the YouTube version. Donna and I have been listening to it, over and over, this morning.

    Thanks, too, for the photo of the Jesus doll. I want one! I've been thinking of ways I could use it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you've been listening to the song! I have been experiencing heart burn all last night and this morning. I'm re-thinking my prayer to "open my heart more and more". Part of the night I felt like I had an elephant on my chest. I'm just glad I we didn't sing "Open My Eyes" yesterday and that I took that as my first night's prayer. ☺

      Seriously, it's a great song... and a great prayer. And, "The Jesus Doll"... I purchased one here last Session at the Cokesbury store because I had a great coupon from Cokesbury that helped me afford it. I haven't used it in ministry just yet. But, as soon as I got it home, my daughter re-dressed him in a Bryan College kids' t-shirt "class of 20??" and a yellow sash on his head. Jesus is styling. There are some other Jesus pictures in ¿Dónde está Jesús" posts. I haven't posted every session about him, but try to keep up with him. It has become part of my journey here at the Academy. I am certain you would find wonderfully creative ways to teach and preach using the Jesus Doll!

      Delete
  2. Thanks, Debra. I found three posts using "Dónde está Jesús" search. I bought another car, so I don't have $65 for a doll. But if you learn about another coupon, let me know.

    I especially liked that Jesus went to be with someone rather than staying in the worship area.

    ReplyDelete