Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Red Sea Rule #6--When unsure, just take the next logical step by faith.

This class was held on September 26th.  That was several weeks back.  Once again, I'm relying on notes and jarred memories to recall that night. 

The choir sang "Leaning on the Everlasting Arms" to begin our time together.  [That hymn has a very special place in my life as it was used as a means of prevenient grace one evening to encourage, uplift, and prepare me for something that was waiting for me.  I will not forget that serendipity meeting with David and Barbara Masoner in the Charlotte, NC airport on my way home to Hixson, TN from New Bern, NC that June evening in 1998.  It was truly a gift from God.  Maybe I'll share more about that one day...]

Rev. Amy Nutt gave a recap of the previous weeks and Red Sea Rules, to bring us up to tonight:  Red Sea Rule #6:  "When unsure, just take the next logical step by faith."

Amy shared an experience of trying to get home one evening with a road block in the way between her and home.   She had just enough time calculated in her mind to get home, do a few things, and then it would be off to the next appointment on her list.  However, due to the road block, she needed to find a different way home.  The way she tried didn't work out.  The GPS recalculated for her as she wound her away through the streets, arriving back to where she had started.  When she realized there was a "detour" application, she activated it and a route came up that went around the road block.  Hurray for detours!  Detours can be good.  (Hmm... that is a cause for a pause.  Often we think that a detour will take us way out of our way or down some path that will take longer, etc.  However, in reality, a detour can actually be quicker, it might provide new scenery, new perspective, etc.  This gives new meaning to detours for me.  Can I now embrace them more readily?!?!  That is yet to be seen. ☺)

So, sometimes we need to STOP doing what we are doing.  Just stop where we are and re-program to get new directions.  Is there anything in your life, my life that might need a STOP, RE-PROGRAM (DETOUR) and NEW DIRECTION right now?  Something to consider.

Scripture focus: Exodus 14:13-15 (NIV):
"Moses answered the people, “Do not be afraid. Stand firm and you will see the deliverance the Lord will bring you today. The Egyptians you see today you will never see again. The Lord will fight for you; you need only to be still.” Then the Lord said to Moses, “Why are you crying out to me? Tell the Israelites to move on."

The chapters within Red Sea Rule #6 are broken down into "Day by Day", "Step by Step", and "Moment by Moment".  That's a good way to look at things, especially when you are unsure.  And for the first two at least, I am reminded of songs. ☺ 

"Day by Day" from the 1970s "Godspell":
 
Day by day
Day by day
Oh Dear Lord
Three things I pray
To see thee more clearly
Love thee more dearly
Follow thee more nearly
Day by day
 
"Step by Step" by Rich Mullins:
 
Sometimes the night was beautiful
Sometimes the sky was so far away
Sometimes it seemed to steep so close
You could touch it but your heart would break
Sometimes the morning came too soon
Sometimes the day could be so hot
There was so worth much left to do
But so much you'd already done

Oh God, You are my God
And I will ever praise you
Oh God, You are my God
And I will ever praise you
And I will seek You in the morning
And I will learn to walk in Your ways
And step by step You'll lead me
And I will follow You all of my days

Sometimes I think of Abraham
How one star he saw had been lit from me
He was a stranger in this land
And I am that no less than he
And on this road to righteousness
Sometimes the glime can be so steep
I may falter in my steps
But never beyond Your reach

Oh God, You are my God
And I will ever praise You
Oh God, You are my God
And I will ever praise You
I will seek You in the morning
And I will learn to walk in Your ways
And step by step You'll lead me
And I will follow You all of my days

And I will follow You all of my days
And I will follow You all of my days
And step by step You'll lead me
And I will follow You all of my days 

Upon searching, I found a hymn entitled "Moment by Moment" (a link to lyrics).  It was written in 1893 by Daniel Whittle.  Here are the lyrics:

  1. Dying with Jesus, by death reckoned mine;
    Living with Jesus, a new life divine;
    Looking to Jesus till glory doth shine,
    Moment by moment, O Lord, I am Thine.
    • Refrain:
      Moment by moment I’m kept in His love;
      Moment by moment I’ve life from above;
      Looking to Jesus till glory doth shine;
      Moment by moment, O Lord, I am Thine.
  2. Never a trial that He is not there,
    Never a burden that He doth not bear,
    Never a sorrow that He doth not share,
    Moment by moment, I’m under His care.
  3. Never a heartache, and never a groan,
    Never a teardrop, and never a moan;
    Never a danger but there on the throne,
    Moment by moment He thinks of His own.
  4. Never a weakness that He doth not feel,
    Never a sickness that He cannot heal;
    Moment by moment, in woe or in weal,
    Jesus my Savior abides with me still.
To listen to the music for "Moment by Moment", click on this title.

But, I have digressed from the lesson.  All the pastor did was mention the three chapter titles and it got me thinking about songs. ☺

The pastor shared the Scripture and then spoke about how the Hebrews were to go forward, go on, move on.  This group of people had been set free and told to move on.  Moses was their GPS.  They had been set free.  And they were moving on... until they got to a place where there seemed to be no move.  And at that moment, they were stuck.  They were at a road block.  Water in front of them and the Egyptians hot on their heels behind them.  When they asked their GPS, Moses, what to do... and in turn Moses asked his GPS God what to do, the answer came back: Exodus 14:15b--"Tell the children of Israel to go forward." 

Go forward.  Now that wasn't too logical, but it was faith.  And what if they had been paralyzed by fear instead of moving forward?  They would have died.  It seems the journey is typically about "moving forward".  Yes, there are plenty of times to "be still", to listen, to rest, to wait and see.  But, then there comes a time to move forward.  More likely than not, that "move forward" will require faith.  As we move forward in faith, we will find ourselves being molded and shaped as we learn and grow. 

What does it mean for you to "move on" in your life now?

On page 68 of the book, the last two paragraphs read:

"To go as I am led, to go when I am led, to go where I am led"; A.T. Pierson once wrote, "it is that which has been for twenty years the one prayer of my life."

"Take things moment by moment, and when you don't know what to do, just do what comes next.  Trust God to lead you a step at a time."  (68)

On a personal note, I was e-mailing someone I met 2 years ago at the TN 5 Day Academy.  I am now on a board with her.  In the e-mail, she remarked something to the effect of: 'look where God has led you these last two years...' Another cause for a pause.  It is true.  It's a "WOW!" moment.  A lot has happened in my life these past two years.  My journey has been chock full of many adventures.  I am trying to be still and listen along the way..... and then move on as guided.

So, this post wasn't solely about the lesson on Red Sea Rule #6.  Forgive my digressions and personalizations.

There is one more thing that happened before the evening came to a close.  A friend stood up to share that she had been struggling with colon cancer for the past 6 months, but that along the way God had been working in her and moving her forward.  Her most recent scan showed 100% clear and not even traces of scars from before.  She knew that some people had been praying for her, even though she had not shared with many.  And, she was grateful to be where she was... and to have grown through the journey.  As a next step of moving forward for her, the pastor spontaneously asked if she would come up for prayer.  My friend responded hesitantly, "now?".  She went forward and several people went forward to pray with and for her. 

Community continues to build and grow in the body and it is a blessing to see.

Again, I would ask, how is God asking you to move on?  In what areas of your life do you need to let go of things, people, situations, etc. in order to move forward? 

Remember, when unsure, just take the next logical step by faith.

Blessings on the journey,

~Debra

No comments:

Post a Comment