Sunday, September 23, 2012

2 Year Blogging Anniversary This Month!!

I started this blog two years ago on September 3, 2010.  Last year I wrote about my one year experience and shared statistics on September 2, 2011.  This month has been a little hectic for me.  I started off the month on vacation in Canada, then came back to start my semester courses.  Since then I've been reading, writing, but no arithmetics. ☺

I've thought about writing this anniversary blog several times, but just haven't gotten "around to it"... or "a round tuit" as they say.  But, today, I was encouraged by my camel land friend to "just do it".  So, I guess you could say that she is my "round tuit".

Since I'm writing the post today, I will include statistics up to this point.  That means that they are not exact to the two-year date, but some of you might not really care about the statistics at all anyway. 

Personally, I find it intriguing and interesting to see the various countries posted that are reading my blog.  I often wonder 'how in the world did they find this?'  I have tried to not focus on the amount of hits, though it has been extremely humbling to have gone over the 1,000 mark (August 2012-- 1,004) and to have gone over 10,000 hits total this September.  I'm sure there are other bloggers out there with much higher numbers than mine.  That's great.  It isn't a competition for me at all.  I'm simply amazed that there have been so many readers. 

I continue to blog to "get it out of my system".  As things churn inside me, it helps to write it down.  As I learn things, it helps to share them.  Sharing where I am on the journey, what I'm learning, what I'm going through (the good, the bad, and the ugly) is part of my journey.  In fact, it has become a spiritual discipline for me to write about my journey.  Sharing my journey is part of my journey.  We are all called to share our journey with those with whom we come in contact.  For me, this has become a way of doing just that.... only I don't always know who you are.  I don't have the opportunity to learn about your journey and/or hear your story. 

Here are some statistics:

This post makes number 206 for the past two years.  It is number 110 for the past year. 

The most popular posts as of today are: (per the overview page)
 1. Thoughts and Quotes from Jesus Calling over the last few days and weeks... , November 24, 2011, 429 views
 2. Several hours at the creek...roaring waters and waiting, March 12, 2011, 255 views
 3. Some thoughts on hospitality..., May 30, 2011, 159 views
 4. Comic strips and children's books..., January 31, 2011, 139 views
 5. Dos Amigos Mexican Restaurant, April 4, 2011, 131 views
 6. Marcela Gándara's Music ministers to my soul, March 2, 2011, 127 views
 7. Discernment--a spiritual compass, September 9, 2010, 82 views
 8. The Touch Test, June 30, 2011, 74 views
 9. Each That We Lose Takes Part of Us by Emily Dickinson, April 5, 2012, 69 views
10. Thomas Merton quotes...silence,  solitude, and no idea where I'm going, May 11, 2012, 62 views

Of these 10 posts, 7 were in the top 10 last year: #2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8. 

When I look at the statistics for the posts, I see higher numbers and find some posts that have higher stats than some that were on the overall list, but that's too much for me to figure out to post.  Trying to keep it simple, after the K.I.S.S. method-- "Keep It Simple Silly".... Okay, originally, the last word is supposed to be "stupid".  But, that's a word I prefer to not use.

The top countries:
 1. United States
 2. Russia
 3. Germany
 4. United Kingdom
 5. Sudan
 6. Canada
 7. Ukraine
 8. Netherlands
 9. Romania
10. Australia

Eight of these ten countries are in the top 10 again, though the order has changed around somewhat.  Australia and Romania are new to the top 10. 

Though I wasn't as diligent this past year in keeping up with the various countries as I was the year before, I did attempt to keep up with them.  Beyond the top ten countries, here are the countries that visited my blog: (not listed in any particular order)

Uganda, Jamaica, Venezuela, Ecuador, Israel, Belarus, China, Poland, Bhutan, Hong Kong, Botswana, Jordan, Egypt, Thailand, Denmark, Latvia, Philippines, Ireland, United Arab Emirates, Panama, Norway, Lithuania, Nicaragua, Hungary, South Africa, Sri Lanka, New Zealand, Turkey, Belgium, Slovenia, Indonesia, South Korea, Trinidad Tobago, Japan, Pakistan, Singapore, Malaysia, Spain, Colombia, Estonia, Algeria, Argentina, Czech Republic, Saudi Arabia, Georgia, Qatar, Iran, Malta, Albania, Costa Rica, Sweden, Gibraltar.

If my count is correct, that is 52 additional places.  I may not have caught them all as I have stated. 

There have been some new places that have checked out the blog.... and some places that haven't been back.  That seems normal in the ebb and flow of things.

Now for the monthly readership over this past year of blogging:

September 2011--402
October 2011--432
November 2011--504
December 2011--499
January 2012--643
February 2012--340
March 2012--383
April 2012--701
May 2012--617
June 2012--575
July 2012--764
August 2012--1,004
September 2012-- 962 (as of this writing)

Overall, the monthly numbers have increased from last year's statistics. 

That's this past year in numbers.   I'm not really comparing them to anything other than their past year.  And even with that comparison, I'm not in competition with myself, though as I've mentioned, there are times when the focus on the number of hits can become a focus.  And, when that happens, it's an opportunity for me to re-focus, to remember why I'm doing this in the first place.

This journey that I'm on... the life journey... the spiritual journey... the blogging journey... it continues to have moments of clarity and moments of fogginess.  There are ups and downs.   I do know one thing for sure and that is that I'm not in the same place I was when I began.  Nor am I the exact same person.  So, I guess I know two things.  And, that is part of the journey.  Constant growing and changing and moving along the path.

Thank you again for joining me on the journey.  My journey continues to be an adventure.... a joyous one for the most part, even through the difficult times.

I plan to continue the journey of blogging as a spiritual practice/discipline.  I don't know where this journey is leading, but it has been a blessing to me.

As you continue your journey, may you be blessed.  May you find others to journey with you so that you are able to greet any challenges with the strength of community.  May you experience deep peace that flows through any and all circumstances along your way. 

~Debra ☺



4 comments:

  1. Congrats on your anniversary. I encourage all clergy to blog as well as social network. Its a part of extending grace to the world.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Tony! I like your thoughts on how this can be a way of extending grace to the world. I'm starting to believe that the world might be my parish these days. ☺

      Delete
  2. Oh come on...fifth?? fifth?!!?? I was second last year... How many people do you even know in Russia??? Alright, I will try harder for next year... ;)

    Seriously though, mabruuk (congrats) on two years, thanks for the post and I always love the blog. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bex,

      I do think there should be a special category for one-person making all the blog clicks in a country. You would DEFINITELY be first on that list!! ☺

      Delete