Monday, September 10, 2012

A look into Israel, thanks to Bonnie Beuning's poetry!

Everytime someone goes to Israel or talks about their trip(s) to Israel, I think back to my awesome opportunity and adventure in 2000 to go on an archaeological dig there on the West Bank.  I want to pull out  my pictures, pottery shards, souvenirs, and go down memory lane.  The one item I have out is a handmade wooden chess set that my daughter and I occasionally use for a match or two.

But this blog isn't about my trip to Israel.  It's about Bonnie's trip.  Bonnie went to Israel this past May.  Her trip inspired some poetry that powerfully touched me and I asked permission to share.

First, let me introduce Bonnie to you.  Bonnie Beuning is a fellow journeyer with me on Academy #32.  She lives in Kansas and has traveled to Guatemala frecuently on mission trips and has been to Costa Rica on missions too.  She has a heart for God and others.

Bonnie at Academy #32, session 5, photo by dd

Here are Bonnie's writings from her trip to Israel:

"On the Road to Zababdeh"

O' banded hills of Palestine
terraced by God's own hand!
The first flocks of the Shepherd
are driven from this land.

As it was in Jacob's day,
inheritance is claimed
from the firstborn of another way,
who now find themselves unnamed.

The answer rests in God's own heart
beyond the mind of man,
and yet he issues each a part
to be his feet and hands.

We must find our garden and listen to
the wind that brings His voice.
The One who has created all
has left to us the choice.

While Christ still walked these rock-strewn hills,
He never spoke to please
but told of ways to live in Truth,
the greatest being these:

"The most important one," answered Jesus, "is this: 'Hear, O Israel: The Lord our God, the Lord is one.  Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your sould and with all your mind and with all your strength.'  The second is this: 'Love your neighbor as yourself.'  These is no commandment greather than these."   Mark 12:29-31 (NIV)

Bonnie Hamilton Beuning
© May 26, 2012
 
"Sorrow in Palestine"
     Morning reflections on my pation, shortly after
     spending 2 1/2 weeks in the West Bank

I walked Jesusalem's cobbled ways
where Jesus had stumbled toward crucifixion.
I followed the narrow tunnel-maze
of Old Hebron, and saw the present oppression.
People who Christ had come to save
are still enslaved by those of an older persuasion
who take the lands
from the Adopted's hands.

Idly by (at best) sits my own nation.

I'm confused and made ill
by what some call God's will.
How can they believe
in this plan some perceive
to be given from above?
Land and power trump Love?

Truly?
 
Bonnie Hamilton Beuning
© June 7, 2012
 
Sea of Galilee by Bonnie Beuning 2012

Sea of Galilee by Bonnie Beuning 2012 
Father Firaz of the Malachite
Catholic church of Zebabdeh, Palestine by Bonnie Beuning 2012
 
Banded Hills of Israel by Bonnie Beuning 2012

I would like to thank Bonnie for sharing her words and pictures!  They have touched me on my journey.

If you would like to directly contact Bonnie about her poetry and/or her pictures, you can contact her via this e-mail address link.


~Debra


 

No comments:

Post a Comment