Sunday, September 9, 2012

Word for the day-- "path" (sermon notes and other reflections)


Today's word for the day is "path".  It seems that I'm getting that word from several directions.

As I woke up feeling the coolness of the morning from having left the deck doors open, I knew right away that I wanted to get to church early to have time to walk the labyrinth path.  I felt that today was a day where I especially needed to be outside in God's creation, to focus, to pray, to fellowship...before I entered inside to worship and fellowship.

On my mirror is this prayer that I picked up at Church of the Resurrection a couple of years ago at a Leadership Institute.  It is entitled, "prayer for the journey".  It says: "Lord, as I travel through this day, grant me the vision to see your plan for my life, and the courage and devotion to follow the path you set before me.  Amen."

The message this morning (September 9) in Jesus Calling also talked about "path".    The devotional begins: "WALK WITH ME ALONG PATHS OF TRUST.  The most direct route between point A and point B on your life-journey is the path of unwavering trust in Me." (264)

After walking the winding path of the labyrinth this morning, I headed into worship.  Today's message?  "A Disciple's Path Defined".  Today is the beginning of a 6 week series on the Disciple's Path. 

Notes from today's sermon by Rev. Rowland Buck: (a combination from both services)
  • Not asking for directions can cause you to waste time and energy. (Rowland shared a personal testimony about a time at Fall Creek Falls back in his college days.) [I found it interesting that in today's devotion from Jesus Calling, there was this statement: "You will get to point B eventually, but you will have lost precious time and energy." (264)]
  • What does discipleship do for our lives?  If you aim at nothing, you will surely hit it.  The Christian life is not something you drift into; it is an intentional path.
  • Love God; Love neighbor (others).  This message was part of the Scripture for today (Luke 10:25-28).  Love God and Love others is a basic tenet of discipleship.  For me, it is the basis for which my life flows and from which I believe all actions flow.  Although I fall short of this goal, it is my intent to strive to live toward it.  I found a .jpg that I liked last year that I used for missions:

  •  Here is a point the pastor made:
     
  • And another one:
  • 'Discipleship is about letting God's life flow in your life.' (I missed a word or two here from the pastor, but it's an almost quote.)
  • Jesus didn't call Christians or church-goers; He called disciples.
  • The Way of Grace
    • Prevenient Grace--"the grace that seeks us"-- Romans 5:8
    • Justifying or Saving grace--"the grace that saves us"--Romans 5:1-2
    • Sanctifying or perfecting graces--"the grace that transforms us"--2 Corinthians 3:18
  • It is difficult.  You can not do it.  It is a way of grace.  Centering your life on Him IS a way of grace.
  • Are you ready to walk the disciple's path?
  • Where are you on the path? 
  • Ask God, 'what do you want to do next?' 
  • Walk the disciple's path by loving God and loving others.
This afternoon also begins a study on the Disciple's Path based on the companion reader and workbook by James A. Harnish: A Disciple's Path: Deepening Your Relationship with Christ and the Church.  This will be a way to take the journey deeper.  I'm looking forward to more learning and studying about the disciple's path.  There is always something I can learn and put into action!

Blessings on you and your journey.  Wherever you are on the disciple's path, may today be a day of loving God and loving others!

~Debra

No comments:

Post a Comment