Monday, May 9, 2016

A new outdoor labyrinth for me.... Church of the Nativity in Fort Oglethorpe

For an upcoming District Pastor's meeting, I've been researching local labyrinths.  In that research, I found that Church of the Nativity in Fort Oglethorpe has an outdoor labyrinth.  Maybe I had run across that information before, but it didn't mean anything to me since I live in Hixson, TN.  But because my appointment places me in Georgia (Flintstone, Rossville, and Fort Oglethorpe), that becomes significant.

Last week, I went to Church of the Nativity for the first time on Monday and walked and prayed the labyrinth.  I went back again on Tuesday.  I imagine it will become one of those "go-to" places in this part of my world, much like the pavilion at Flintstone UMC. 

Walking and praying a labyrinth soothes my soul.  Monday and Tuesday were no different.  My stress level had gotten a little high.  The week before I dropped my laptop on my foot, shattering the touch screen (optimizer) on the top portion.  That wasn't the first thing I dropped that morning.  I dropped a saucer and a muffin.  It was the laptop that clued me in, though, that my stress level was higher than I recognized. 

I did a quick examen (check) and realized that I hadn't really taken the time to allow my soul to catch up with my body lately.  I hadn't been on a good walk or a good hike.  I hadn't really taken time for centering prayer.

I took some moments for quiet and stillness that Monday morning before heading out to pick up my laptop.  The screen had other issues and could not be fixed at the time, so now I am getting used to not using a touch screen these days.

After I picked up the computer (in Fort Oglethorpe), I decided to check out the labyrinth I had found online in my research before going in to the office.

Church of the Nativity is located on 1201 Cross Street in Fort Oglethorpe and was on my way to the office. 

When I got there, I found the labyrinth in the back of the property.  It is a beautiful labyrinth with a gravel path, decorated with river stone, mulch and plants. 


As I walked the path, I found 6 "heart stones".


In the center of the labyrinth is this stone:


Prior to walking the labyrinth, I read these words from devozine, a youth devotional, on Instagram:


Oh, how I needed those words, in addition to the walk.  The words were perfect to begin my meditation and walking time.

My soul did catch up with my body that day.... and again on Tuesday.  Walking a labyrinth has been part of my spiritual journey for several years now and it always settles my heart, mind, and soul.  It represents the ebb and flow of the journey inward and the journey outward.  

This past Saturday was World Labyrinth Day.  Though I didn't make it out on that particular day to walk a labyrinth, I'm grateful to now know of an additional one in the greater Chattanooga area. 

If you live in the Chattanooga area and you're looking for a labyrinth for a prayer walk, check this one out.

In addition, you can check out these other outdoor labyrinths:

(1) Burks UMC on 6433 Hixson Pike has one in the back of the property in the grass
(2) The Bright School  on 1950 Hixson Pike has a concrete one and asks that people let them know they are on the property
(3) St. Paul’s Episcopal Church on 305 W. 7th. (outdoors, but accessed by going indoors)
(4) New Hope Presbyterian Church on 7301 Shallowford Road


A prayer for entering the labyrinth: (taken from Burks UMC pamphlet "The Prayer Path")

Lord Jesus, be with me in my walking.
Be with me in my listening.
Christ, open my heart, mind and body to receive.

A prayer for leaving the labyrinth:  (taken from Burks UMC pamphlet "The Prayer Path")

Holy Spirit of God, 
I hold in my heart the gift 
you have given to me.
However confusing, however clear, 
I accept it as your gift for me today.
May I savor it and respect it
until I understand the treasure that it is.
Amen.


Blessings on your journey,

Debra

No comments:

Post a Comment